1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Museum opinion...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by cjtom, Jan 31, 2009.

1. cjtom

cjtom Guest

I was at the museum last week to take pictures of their Egyptian Exhibition (as part of my art project for college). On my way out there was another exhibition of Lindow Man so i thought i would take a look. I was about to take a picture when the guide said "i'd rather you didn't, out of respect!". I thought this was quite out of order. I would understand if it was about preservation but having been upstairs about 40 minutes before with school children saying "that mummy has a willy", and him working at a place where the idea is to look at these things, then i would have thought you checked your respect at the door.

Of course i respect the dead but if respect was their main concern would they really have put them on display for all to see?

I guess I'm just ranting but does anybody have any opinions on this?

2. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

Well many museums have rules for not taking pictures. Its like the whole napster thing in the 90's. If you have a picture of it then whats the point of comming back. It doesnt make it special anymore. The reson for a museum is to go look, be awed, find somthing that intrest you, learn how much it costs (and run if you steal it) and go home. Many museums want the exibits to mean something and if there are a bunch of pictures of it then whats the point in going. I remember I got in trouble for taking a picture of an old samuri sword at the metropolitan.

I dont like the rule though.

3. cjtom

cjtom Guest

Its not really the fact he told me off for taking the picture...the reason he gave was "out of respect" when putting them on show is not really giving them any respect at all.

4. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

oh ok I see what your saying. Hmmm never thought about it that way.

5. crystaltriforce

it is possible that the flash from the camera could damage the exibits but they have to be verry old for that to happen. if i'm wrong about this please correct me about this.