1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Traveling to Africa

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HuskyPup, Jan 9, 2016.

1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ever since I was a child, I have long wanted to see Africa, and as of late, the urge has returned with great force, perhaps because I wish to see it while I'm still not too old, and also while there's still enough of the native plants and animals to marvel over. As a lover of nature and its rich diversity, the place has always called out to me.

In particular, I'd like to go to two countries:

-Madagascar
    -Mozambique

I've been doing a good amount of research into both countries, the culture, government, climate, costs, and yet, I've never spoken with anyone who has been there, or lived anywhere in Africa for any amount of time.

I know what many will say:

Why visit a place with such a horrible record towards gay people, and that generally has such awful laws?

That is a concern, but I don't want to let it become a complete barrier.

Mozambique is among the more progressive countries as for gay rights; they have decriminalized homosexuality, and they also do not allow discrimination in the workplace. From things I have read, its poised to become the second African nation behind South Africa to allow civil unions/marriage. Madagascar has no laws against homosexuality, but in both cases, it's the wildlife and landscaped that draw me most, as well as experiencing cultures that believe in magic, taboos, fetishes...I think this would be fascinating. People say that belief in these things is foolish; I counter that people here also believe in many foolish things, such that Donald Trump would be an effective president. I find the idea that ones ancestors' souls reside in Baobab Trees much less crazy of a notion.

~

All that aside, has anyone been, or wanted to go?

Any tips and travel advice?

I have also started to look into teaching English there, and also, into the fair-trade coffee world; I would love one day to work in the coffee business, though in a humane manner.

Well, I sense those lemurs and fossa are waiting for me, and I'm excited, and starting to save...I see it's about $1,200 from DC, getting there and back. So this may take a while, but I'm looking into many possible things I might do there, such that I'd be able to spend enough time to get to know the place.

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    All I have to say is it sounds awesome! Hope you are able to go and have a good time :grin:

3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Make sure to eat sole fried giraffe for me.

4. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I want to go too. (= It's not the place I want to go to the most - Japan and China are two places that would come first - but I would like to see it someday if finances allow.

5. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There are a couple (Egypt, South Africa, Sudan, Nigeria, Kenya), but because of instability in the region, probably won't be going any time soon.

We've a few members from Africa here, so maybe they can weigh in.

6. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's exciting and fun. Good luck! And say hi to Alex the Lion and King Julian for me. :grin:

7. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wanted to go someday and then I took a class on human parasites...