1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT & Schooling.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Secrets5, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

For those that were wanting schools to teach about LGBT+, I have great news for you because we're having an LGBT+ talk on Friday. Although it's a good thing, it's making me super nervous, last time we had the same group of people leading the talk in they made you actively tell them in front of the whole class how nervous we were for GCSE exams [even though they claim to be confidential]. Hoping things will be different.

Anyway, thought you'd like to know :slight_smile:

2. VideoGAYmer

VideoGAYmer Guest

You're lucky, my school seems to forget that LGBT+ even exists. out of all the school rules, anti bullying scheme etc. (which goes on forever) there's only 1 that i have found "All students must be treated with respect regardless race, religion, skin colour, age, gender or sexuality" These rules take affect from year 7 to 11.

when we did PSHCE in year 7 we covered (almost) everything to do with racism, discrimination and bullying then we moved on to being British, we didn't even touch homophobia, sure we were in year 7 but it's good to get it in their heads early. although in that class the teacher would say "girlfriends... or boyfriends" then look directly at me, as if... she knew...

a bit of a rant but the perfect opportunity to get it out of my system.

3. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

That's great to hear! They really ought to start teaching about it in history classes, even early on because it's important not to treat it like a thing you shouldn't talk about or that's too much for younger kids. They also really need to start teaching about non-heterosexual sex in sex-ed classes in school. Some schools do but in some US states, it's not even part of the mandatory curriculum. My friend is actually doing a big project on that kind of thing right now.
    But anyway, that really is good, not something you even hear about much. Hope it goes well!

4. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awesome news :slight_smile: Good luck with the talk!

My school basically just said "some people are homosexual which means they fancy the same sex" and nothing else about LGBT+.

5. DangerousDan

DangerousDan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol, my school had a talk on homophobia... on the day 90% of the students were out on trips for things like history conferences/etc.

So basically, nobody turned up.