1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Learning to play an instrument as an adult

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Harjus, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Harjus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Is anyone else trying to do that? With what instrument and how is it going? Do you take lessons or are you learning by yourself?

I finally started a week ago with a treble recorder. I am learning by myself. I couldn't read notes at all. I had never played anything but I have always wanted to. I like the sound of treble recorder and they were not too expencive so I choose that. So far I am very happy. It's very satisfying to learn new stuff. I can play some simple songs already. My greatest weakness by far is that my fingers don't always do what I want them to and I don't always know when I shoud take a breath. And my neighbour hates me now.

I have never been very musical. I can't sing at all so people have always told me to stay away from musical instruments. I hated music lessons and singing back at school. I was told I was very unmusical. I hated most of the music that came from the radio and what people listened. Some of it was actually painful to listen. For long I only liked classical music. There is something odd with my hearing. Yeah, I am far from talented but I am not really that bad and my new hobby has so far been very satisfying. I have wanted to play something for so long that I think I won't be getting tired too soon.

2. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

Well, I learned how to play the recorder in elementary school because it was required. I did enjoy it but I didn't take steps forward to learn other instruments because I don't think my parents would have hired an instructor though I would have liked that. I wanted to play piano & I still do!

I don't know if I count as an adult lol but I learned how to play guitar at 18. I took a class in highschool & I really enjoyed it. I've tried to learned by myself before but I couldn't figure it out. Having a teacher or someone with experience to guide you helps so much more than learning by yourself. If you can find instructional videos on YouTube or some other source I think that would help process things faster.

3. Rydia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I started learning to play the guitar in my late 20s and over the years i've messed around with several other instruments: banjo, mandolin, upright bass, fiddle, bass guitar.

I'm not some kind of amazing musician or anything at this point, but I've learned enough to enjoy myself and to be able to play along with other people.

It's definitely more difficult to learn as an adult than as a child, as with most things, but it can be done.

I know plenty of people who are very good instrumentalists who can't sing a lick and vice versa. I'm a better singer than picker and I suppose there's some overlap, but one isn't really a requirement for the other.

I have mostly learned from books, DVDs, watching other people, playing along with CDs and such, but have taken a lesson here or there. I think if you can afford lessons and find a good teacher, that is helpful, but the most important thing is to play. The thing that made me get better the fastest was getting out and playing with other people on a regular basis. I think you pick up things without realizing it from watching and listening to other people play.

4. Warkupo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I tried. It did not go very well. lol I have no musical talent, though I strongly wish I did. I can't even learn to read music fluently either. I need to mark them as numbers/letters beforehand to be able to play it accordingly w/o having to check the music sheet back and forth one note at a time. Really I was just playing through memorization, which I don't find as enjoyable as having an actual understanding of music.

Things I've tried...
    -Piano
    -Guitar
    -Violin
    -Recorder

I really wanna try the drums though. I think I might be ok with it.

5. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I play the drums and the djembe and sing a bit, but I've been wanting to take up another instrument for some time now. And yeah, I'm legally an adult now (and as of tomorrow I'm officially not a teenager anymore either). I've been thinking of taking up one or several of:
    -Keyboard (rather than piano just because it's so much cheaper)
    -Harmonica (because it's easy, or so I've heard, and I want to play a wind instrument)
    -Flute or recorder or something similar is probably what I want to try the most
    -Possibly guitar

So yeah, I'll see. ^^ I definitely think it's possible! And I want to give it a try when I have more money to buy an instrument.. (=

#5 Invidia, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016