1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT /state laws

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ECMember, Jan 12, 2016.

1. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm unsure if this is the wrong place to put this post but I just had some questions.

I live in Texas and yes I know it's a "Red state." Well, it's life you know.

I just wanted to know about how state laws impact members of the LGBT community such as myself.

I'm 24, Hispanic guy, bi/bi curious.

If I were to a marry a bi or bi curious that was younger than me(18-20) or so, how would the laws work for us.

I mean, I know I'll be able to marry in the state of Texas. Would spousal rights be the same like heterosexual couples.

Would be able to have joint accounts, ownership, property, benefits?

And I don't know if this is a stupid question, would the both of us be allowed to enter bars/clubs/liquor stores in the state of Texas. I know the drinking age is 21, but I know there is the exception if there is a spouse or parent present. I don't know if that's been brought up by gay or lesbian couples or not.

If I marry, how does the "naming" work. I mean, would either guy keep his surname or change it or what. I forgot about that too.

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since marriage equality is a nation wide thing, you should have the same rights as straight couples in every sense of the word (since you and said person are both of legal age). If you run into legal troubles, get in touch with a queer friendly organization like Lambda Legal, ACLU and they should be able to help you out.

As far as general discrimination goes, I'm not sure how that would work. I don't know if businesses in Texas have the right to discriminate on "religious ground" despite marriage equality being a thing. For that, try getting in touch with Equality Texas and see if they have more insight on that.

As far as naming goes, that's entirely up to you. You could hyphen your names, you could take theirs, or they can take yours. I know when I tie the knot with my partner, we originally planned on hyphening our names (for cultural reasons on his end). But now, I know for sure it would be better and easier for me to take his last name since there's bad blood tied to my name, so it's for the best.

Hope this helps!

#2 Daydreamer1, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  3. AKTodd

You also have the option of both of you keeping your own last names. When my husband and I got married, we went that route. Neither of us had any interest in jumping through all the hoops involved with a name change. A straight couple we know did the same thing when they got married some years back. Name changes are a pain.

Todd