1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

transgender questions?!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Miles D, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Miles D

Well, I have noticed that the predominate population of EC is gay and bisexual guys & chics, with a significantly smaller population of transgender/transsexual people.
    I've also noticed that a lot of people have excellent questions about being trans, because they don't know anyone who is trans.
    And as you probably all know, ignorance frequently turns into hate, SOO...

ASK ME [a trannie] A QUESTION!!

Anything you can think of. No question (phrased purposefully and thoughtfully) will offend me. Seriously! And although I'm much more educated in the FtM (female to male) department, I can answer questions about pretty much anything having to do with the "T" in LGBT. And I'm sure other transfolk would love to chime in if they have something to say!

:slight_smile:

2. theworld

I assume you do it because it feels right???

3. Bryan90

My ignorance always revolve around the genitals.

Honestly, if there are no genital-complications, I would have been switching sex from time to time due to my bi-polarity...

4. Miles D

Yeah, that sums it up pretty well. I dress like a guy, and prefer male pronouns because that's what feel natural. It just feels like that's how I should be-- a guy.

5. singtoh1

So Miles are you pre or post? I'm guessing post, right?

If you are post, how do they form your penis? I know for a M to F they turn the penis inside out to form a vagina but how do they form a penis and testicles when there isn't extra skin to form one?

And for a more personal question, hopefully this doesn't sound to perverted, but do you get to choose the size of your manhood?

6. Amy

Amy

Can you explain the identification part? And the proper medical terminology I'm writing a story about an MTF for Creative writing, and those're the only parts I'm having trouble with.

7. Thatsit

how common/uncommon is it to be transgendered and also be gay? like you change yourself to be a man and like men.

8. littledinosaurs

Is it uncommon for people to not actually get the sex change operation?

9. Miles D

I am actually pre-everything. I'm not taking hormones yet, and I haven't had any surgery. But I do know about the surguries they do.

There are two types: metiodioplasty (sp?) and phalloplasty. The first is basically releasing the clitoris into a dangly-fashion-- they use existing skin. Therefor, it's small. 2-3 inches, max. (When an FtM takes hormones, the clitoris enlarges to the size of a small penis.) The second actually takes a skin graft from your arm or thigh and uses that skin to make a penis. This can get you a bigger penis, but with significantly less sensation. Both [can] involve giving you fake balls, like what they do to guys who lose their testicles due to cancer.
    However, most transmen choose not to have "bottom" (penis) surgery, just because the results are never that great.
    :slight_smile:

10. Miles D

I'm not sure what you mean by "identification" part. But I can tell you this:

FtM= F2M= transman. born female, transitions to male.
    MtF= M2F= transwoman. born male, transitions to female.

most transpeople are diagnosed with "GID" or gender identity disorder. Basically, their gender is incongruous with what's in their pants.

11. Miles D

not uncommon at all. some people don't want to or can't afford surgery. and like I said above, the "bottom" surgeries for FtMs don't yield great results.
    also, if an FtM never goes through female puberty, he'll never have breasts, thus eliminating the need for chest/"top" surgery, and female hormones will make an MtF grow breasts.

12. Miles D

I doubt there have been many studies, but it's not that uncommon from what Ive seen. I went to a trans youth meeting and the two facilitators were both trans and gay (the FtM guy was gay and the MtF gal was lesbian). also I've seen many people who have learned more about themselves and their sexual orientation after they've transitioned and been more comfortable in their body.
    and you have to remember that gender and sexual orientation are two separate factors.

#12 Miles D, Feb 1, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  13. starfish

How accepting have gay guys been?

How is your gender legally recognized? Is it male or female, can you change it? If not I assume that means you would be able to marry another guy in states that don't recognize same sex marriage.

My next 2 questions are a little more personal, so feel free not to answer them.

Have you had a romantic relationship with another gay guy? If so how big of a deal was it that you have not had the surgery?

My last question. I assume you use the male facilities, i.e. restroom, showers, changing rooms, etc. Has anyone ever given you any problems with this is in the past.

14. Mickey

I have friends who are transgendered. I have known all of them for years.
    One,Robin,is a post-op MtF who is absolutely gorgeous. My friend,Jessie,was MtF who never had surgery but did take hormones. She Passed away a few years ago. Mark is the only one I know who is FtM. He had his breasts removed and takes testosterone. He didn't complete the surgery. So,I do have some understanding.
    To me,people are people. Genitals don't always match the person who has them.The same goes for the emotions ,thoughts and self-perception.I'm a firm believer that people should ALWAYS be themselves,no matter what.

#14 Mickey, Feb 1, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  15. Miles D

I haven't changed my gender or name legally. I'm going to be changing my name over the summer *hopefully* and a person can't change their gender until they've had non-reversible procedures done (i.e. surgery.) So yeah, if I never change my gender legally, then I can get married... but I'd rather change my gender and fight for the right to get married :grin:

Yeah, I've dated a gay guy. It was short lived, because I was really uncomfortable around him, physically. Just the thought that he liked me like that made me freaked out enough to not want to hold hands with him. But all gay guys I know think of me as "one of them" (? I guess ?) and it's totally cool. My best friend from 5th grade is a gay guy.

And as for bathrooms, I've never been given a hard time, but that's probably because I've never been in any sketchy situations/bathrooms. Here at my school most of the bathrooms are co-ed, and if there's not a co-ed one nearby, I'll use a single-bathroom. I actually have a fear of bathrooms, so I avoid public multiple-stalled bathrooms at all costs. But I have run into guys in public bathrooms, and no problems. They probably just think I'm 12. :slight_smile:

16. Dazed

Dazed Guest

i dont really have a question
    but before i saw this thread or looked at your info..i thought you had been born a guy.

17. Miles D

ooh. well, thanks!! :grin:

18. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I just want to say that I think you are a brave young person. I think it must be really hard to go through this. I've learned a little about it through my work with PFLAG. Like Mickey, I have made some transgender friends as well. We have somebody in my PFLAG group who has had a really tough time finding acceptance from her parents. She is MtF. However, I have seen her go from a man who barely spoke at meetings to a woman who now is not afraid to be herself and will tell it like it is! :slight_smile: She has gone through tremendous personal growth.

So thanks for being here and thanks for being open about yourself and willing to share with others! (*hug*)

19. BabyBoy

I don't understand too much, and google confuses me because everything sounds the same. x_x

So my question is...a transgendered person is somebody who changes their sex, right? Not somebody born with both? That's a...herm something, or another? Right? So like, the girl on Real World Brooklyn is a male to female trans, so what are you? "Transdude" doesn't help me understand, lol

20. Ben

Ben

If you were to undergo hormonal treatment, what would the effects be for you both physically and mentally? (and thanks for this thread, it's really educational) :slight_smile: