1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What exactly does it mean when you refer to someone as your "crush"?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Berru, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    As a non-native English speaker, this term confuses me greatly.
    First of all, I thought a crush was something you can have, not be.

Second, when you're "crushing" on someone, does that mean you're not in love with them, but still have some feelings/desires towards them? Because that's what it seems like when someone uses that word, like they're acknowledging it's not love, but maybe lust or something.

I really don't know how to interpret this word. Help?

2. Naxams

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well your not alone English is my first (and only) language and I'm still not sure on all the aspects of "crush/crushing"

3. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Crushing (verb) is the word used to describe when you have a crush on someone.
    Ex. I was totally crushing on Dave today in class!

Crush (adj.) Is the initial feelings of attraction you feel toward someone you don't 100% know yet. Could be a co-worker, classmate, or just someone that you see frequently. A 'crush' is generally someone that you're intrigued by-you probably find them attractive and interesting without knowing a whole lot about them.

Generally speaking, you can't 'crush' on your friends, because you know them too well. If you have a 'crush' on a friend it means that you have progressed from a 'crush' to the phase of 'like'. When you 'like' a friend, it means you know enough about them and are attracted to them enough that you want to be in a relationship. 'Crushes' are more about the initial attraction and excitement.

4. Kinky

Kinky Guest

I have totally used 'crush' wrong all 22 years of my life. Only when I have serious feelings for someone I call them a crush

5. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Firstly, you can have a crush on someone and someone can also be your crush or someone else's crush.

I always understood a crush as being a more immature form of love or attraction. I think they can still be serious and be based around a person you know well, but it is usually either superficial or unrealistic compared to real love. For example, you could just be crushing on someone just because they're really good looking, or have a crush on someone you barely know or have really intense feelings that are more selfish or superficial than real love.

It's hard to explain, but hopefully that helps you understand it better! :slight_smile:

6. RainDreamer

Think about it like this - when you meet someone and suddenly you feel your chest tighten, as if some invisible forces are "crushing" your insides, and you don't know why you find yourself strangely attracted to that person. That is a crush. Its not yet "Like, like" and far before "Love"

7. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, takeaway from all of this-It's feelings. Sometimes. That you can have for some people.

English is a stupid language.

I love it so dearly.

8. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's basically saying you're attracted to someone and may or may not wish to act on it :slight_smile: