1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents on facebook?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by beckyg, Feb 1, 2009.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I have been connecting with alot of my old high school classmates as well as old friends on facebook. I was wondering how many of your parents are on facebook? Does it bother you that your parents are on such a popular website where they can check out all your "stuff"? lol I've found that alot of the kids are encouraging their parents to join especially young adults so they can easily share photos and videos.

2. littledinosaurs

Mine aren't i prefer that they stay off it, and if they joined i would not friend them and block them from seeing anything about me on facebook in general.

3. KatzInHatz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My mom has a profile~!~! I don't really mind it though~ We are like best friends and I don't really have anything to hide~!~!

4. cromig

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    my mom is my friend i just have her blocked from pretty much everything and i told her the system is messed up or something.

5. joss22

My mom has a facebook, though my sister and I refuse to friend her, which she understands. She actually is friends with a long lost friend of hers on facebook, but other than that she has never really done anything on the site, especially not looked at my photos and such.

6. Courtneyyy

I'm about 90% against parents on facebook. Especially my mom and her friends. I'm friends with some of her friends (who happen to be my friends' parents). My mom won't get one.

7. singtoh1

My Bio mom and adoptive father have one. It kind of made me feel uncomfortable like, I can't be myself but I've gotten over it.

8. Adam

My mom has one, I wont friend her though on it yet, ha.

9. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mother's considering signing up to keep in touch with an online support group she's in. My dad's not interested, but a few of my aunts and uncles are on it.

10. biisme

Mine aren't on, and I'm happy about it. Facebook and EC are where I'm actually me. I don't want to mix things. Plus, I swear online, and not in real life. I have problems online and "not in real life." It's less complicated this way.

11. starfish

My mom has a profile on myface or spacebook or what ever it is called.

I don't know. I'm an old fart when it comes to the Internet (I've been on it since 92), so I don't get this whole social networking thing. I prefer to keep up with my friends by talking to them in person, and the phone with that is not possible.

People keep asking me for my facebook page. It almost seems like that is the new phone number.

As for Parents on social networking sites. I don't care. They are grown adults and it is their computer, so they can visit whatever sites they want.

12. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    My kids were kind of horrified when I got a MySpace but they dealt with it. lol Of course they were younger then. Then I got a facebook and I guess we got past the stage of them really being afraid of being in trouble anymore. Actually my youngest is the only one that ever did anything wrong (drinking and partying lol). I always told her what was okay and not okay (drinking and driving!) and then we were fine and she was okay with me knowing everything she was doing and who she was doing it with. So me seeing her facebook is not a problem.

I can totally understand how you guys wouldn't want your parents seeing your facebook if you are not out yet. That could be a serious problem. However from a mother's perspective, facebook can be a way to keep you out of trouble too. :grin:

13. BlueRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My dad's on facebook, but my mom's mostly computer illiterate, so no worries about her joining up. I can't say that it bothers me too much that my dad's on, as we hardly ever interact online. Except for when he started uploading all those pictures. The one's I'd rather no one knew about.

14. SlickyPants

My parents aren't on facebook but I don't think I'd have a problem with it. A few of my aunts are on it. The way I see it, if I had anything to hide, facebook is the last place I'll be announcing it. My friends are pretty good about using the private messaging where appropriate.

15. musican

My mom has a myspace, but no facebook and she hasn't tried to friend my me or my sister because she understands that it would be weird. My dad is too old school to have a social networking page even though he works with computers for his job, go figure.

16. kaster

I want my mum to get facebook so I can talk to her more and she can see pictures of what Im up to now I've moved away.. But she wont get one cause she thinks its creepy :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

My friends mum has one and he doesnt like it cause though he doesnt mind her seeing what he's up to that much all of his friends (including me) are friends with her too cause she's quite cool. AND the guy he's seeing now just added her too so she's updated with all the pictures of them together aswell and I think he finds that a bit weird...

17. Tim

Tim

I can't stand facebook. Myspace is where it's at :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

My mom, and the 2 people I consider 2nd moms have myspaces, all on my friends list XD Mom doesn't use hers often though... the other 2 are prob. in my most active friends :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: And it doesn't bug me, other than the fact I can't say something to my friends without them finding out.

18. Lychee

Omg, mum got facebook and sent me a friend request that said "Now we can be online friends too darling! xoxoxoxox"

I was like omg CRINGE!!! So embarrassing. She's pretty 'with it' in terms of technology and is better at computer stuff than me (and I'm not technologically illiterate, whatsoever...)

It's kinda convenient - she sees all my photos, it's a lot easier than having to physically sit down with her and show her, and this way she feels a lot more involved in my life.

I also have my grandparents, uncles, aunts and even my aunt's cousins and parents on facebook.

Funny moment - my status at one stage was "f***ing hates Christmas" and my grandma and grandpa told me that they were very disappointed by my language and worried about where society was going !

19. Amy

Amy

I'm fine with parents having Facebook, as long as they're cool (like Becky). I would not add my mom (and deffinaly NOT my father) if they had one. Thank God my mother is such a n00b at internet that she thought it was utube.com...

20. pirateninja

My mom actually had a facebook before I did! :lol: I don't mind, technically because she was there first, but it still makes me wince when I find a wall message saying "TIDY YOUR ROOM!" :roflmao: