1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My dog randomly pees outside of his pee pad

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jax12, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this fits here.

My dog (Bijoin Shitzu) is around 8 months old. Generally speaking, he's a good dog. He's got a pee pad that he knows he should be doing his business in. However, when we let him out of the kitchen (that we block off when we aren't home so he stays there). Sometimes he'll pee on the floor.

My family has speculated that he only will pee on his pee pad if there's new paper on it every so often. Around every 3 or 4 business's, he'll pee somewhere else. Is it also possible for him to pee on the floor because he's upset for whatever reason? Sometimes we'll let him roam around the living room, but that's when he'll find a corner and pee. In addition, even if we change his pee pad, he may still pee elsewhere.

Does anyone know what my family and I can do to maybe resolve this?

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh cute well um my shih tzu sometimes has a little accident here and there and I normally just yell at him but he never learns. :slight_smile: it's okay though he only does it once in a great while. Sometimes I drag his face in the pee and tell him not to do it anymore and then put him outside and that normally works for a while. Best of luck! (*hug*)

3. taken

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Jax12. I've been a vet tech for 7 years. Dogs generally have the idea of "don't use the bathroom where I eat and sleep." When he's blocked off in a smaller area, i.e. the kitchen, his pee pad is likely his way to keep his business contained. When he has free roam of the house, there's more area that he can use the bathroom that's not in his personal space.

4. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's also what I do sometimes haha. Thanks for the help!

---------- Post added 13th Jan 2016 at 09:21 PM ----------

Interesting... thanks for the info!

5. thepandaboss

I second taken. Not to be nosy but how come you don't just walk him outside when he has to go?

6. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This^ as well as since he is still a puppy he may still be trying to learn where it's appropriate to go to the bathroom...whenever you see him going on the potty pad try reinforcing him with a treat so he knows that's what you guys want

7. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

That is a terrible thing to do when teaching a dog to potty train & just in general.

When your dog misses the potty pad redirect him to where it is every time he makes a mistake & give him praise when he does use the potty pad. Over time, he will understand where to go. Perhaps, he's pissing in corners to "mark his territory". It's also important to clean up well where he has made a mistake so he doesn't associate that place to go do his business. He's only a puppy & is still learning, give it time.

8. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ Yeah we figured that since he's not even a year old that he's still learning. Is it possible that he's peeing outside of his pee pad because he wants our attention (basically when he's upset)?

9. Nikky DoUrden

You can also put newspaper around in case he misses :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

That's a possibility but I'm not sure how likely it is in your case. When potty training, it's important not to make a big deal when the dog makes a mistake so it doesn't learn to do that out of frustration or to gain your attention. My dog used to rip up her potty pad to gain my attention lol she doesn't do that anymore though.

11. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's the problem, we don't know when he has to go. Usually we'll just take him to the backyard and he'll pee there, but it's not like we do that all the time. I'd do anything for him to let us know he has to pee then we can just let him out whenever he needs to.

---------- Post added 14th Jan 2016 at 06:50 PM ----------

That's actually a good idea, I will propose this idea and see if he recognizes that he is suppose to do is business there.

---------- Post added 14th Jan 2016 at 06:52 PM ----------

My dog use to do that too! However he hasn't done that in a while. I'll continue to reinforce the reward system and will not make such a big deal out of his so called "accidents".

12. taken

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You need to take him outside after he eats/drinks and periodically throughout the day. When he goes outside, praise him and make a big deal about it (give him a treat or what every he thinks of as a reward.) Be VERY consistent about it. When you are about to take him outside, make him sit at the door first. He will start to associate sitting at the door with going out to potty and will eventually learn that as to telling you he needs to go out. As for the pee pad, slowly move it closer and closer to the door (over the course of a few weeks) that way he will slowly migrate toward the door. If you move it suddenly, he may continue to potty where the pee pad originally was because that was his area.

If you catch him in the act of going in the house, make a loud noise to startle him. He will begin to associate the loud noise with doing something he's not suppose to do. Don't rub his face in it or spank him. You can use a bottle with rocks in it to shake if you catch him, or just simply yelling NO in a loud stern voice.

If you just find pee or poop in the house and don't catch him in the act of it, there's not much you can do. They are like children and don't understand being punished for something they did earlier.

Consistency is the key!! Remember praise him when he does good things, and scorn him when you catch him doing bad things.

13. listeriahound

^ Yes. I recommend changing the peepad more often, it feels (I guess is) wasteful but 3-4 times per pad can be a deal breaker for more clean/finicky dogs.

I cannot recommend enough to NEVER PUSH YOUR DOGS FACE IN/NEAR THE MESS, most trainers would call this abusive and if that seems to be overkill it is still a definitely unnecessary and unhelpful act. This is not normal behaviour, don't do it. Don't take your anger, however justified, out on your dog. Find a different outlet. You're creating fear in a dog and despite submissive behaviour, this breeds disrespect and while they may never do it again they also won't TRUST you the same way again. This is a very cruel thing to do, you would not do it to an infant or toddler. Walk your dogs more.

Educate as well: https://positively.com/dog-behavior/puppy-knowledge/puppy-housetraining/
    https://puppydogweb.com/articles/howtopottytrain.htm
    http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/dog_training_positive_reinforcement.html

#13 listeriahound, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  14. rudysteiner

I agree with this.

Also, in some cases, it can take up to 12-18 for a dog to be able to fully control their bladder. This also goes for nipping/puppy biting too.

With our dog, we took him out on the hour every hour and didn't let him back into the house until he went to the toilet, and we did this for about 4 months. Luckily we got him in the beginning of July so his potty training was practically over before it got too cold. It did take him until he was about 8 months to be fully house trained though.

---------- Post added 19th Jan 2016 at 11:28 PM ----------

This does nothing but confuse the dog and cover his face in piss. It's best to ignore accidents you didn't see happening, clean them up and only 'tell the dog off' when you catch him in the act.

#14 rudysteiner, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  15. Gay1234

That's a bit cruel don't you think?