1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future Teacher

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SharpEdges919, Jan 14, 2016.

1. SharpEdges919

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm currently in college studying to be a teacher (probably in a junior high or high school) and I had a few questions for anyone else here who is already at that point (gay/lesbian and currently teaching at a public school). I'm just wondering what it's like to be in that situation, especially if you're married to a same-sex partner.

Do you feel comfortable enough, in the area you teach, to where you can openly talk about your spouse? If not, do you avoid talking about him/her, or do you just "gender-swap" your spouse when you talk about them (call your wife your husband, or vice versa)?

Are there opportunities in your school for you to reach out to LGBT youth and support them?
    One of the things that I'm most looking forward to once I start teaching is being a support system for students who don't feel like they have anywhere else to go. I'm just not sure what the best way to go about doing that would be.

Thanks for your input! :slight_smile:

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

You could offer your services as part of a positive identities club where anyone who had a difficult time accepting who/what they were could go and all support each other and then also offer one-to-one meetings as well.

As a student who goes to quite a respectful school [you get the odd student, but they get sorted out], we'd talk about any teacher's spouse.

3. guitar

While teaching I've never discussed my sexuality, but that doesn't mean I won't in the future.

4. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    After establishing my career in the field of video games, I plan to teach. But I promised myself to be out to everyone first before entering teaching. It would really annoy me if the students would talk behind my back guessing what my sexuality is.

5. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a teacher, I would say sexuality is the least of my problems.

6. tscott

I am a secondary teacher in Western NY. My sexuality has never come up with my students and it would be inappropriate for them to inquire. They do know I'm divorced and have children. I'm currently in a k-8 building. Unlike in a high school there are no opportunities to volunteer at a LGBT union. As far as faculty is concerned, if asked I'll be honest, which means the building will know the next day. It's not proven to be an issue at all

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hahahaha... yea... being super closeted at work. Not til I get tenure no way am I talking about lgbt issues outside of being a supporter. Not til I get professional status (tenure).

Also cis heteronormative teachers sometimes share nothing about their personal lives with students. So even if lgbt people feel comfortable with themselves they might not want to speak with students about things like that, even about what car they drive for instance.