1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High school experiences

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sean12, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Sean12

Just wanted to hear what some of your experiences as a gay teen in high school.

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I left regular school after one semester because it was destroying my mental sanity and now do online school and could be graduating as soon as May. :slight_smile:

3. Lipstick Leuger

I was so not out, I had the guys accusing me of being a lesbian however.....so I guess I kinda was. I attempted to rectify it quickly via lots and lots of dating of males.

4. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was widely out as a lesbian for a bit over a year before realizing my trans identity ~6 months ago. I gave a speech on the gay rights movement and nobody asked me awkward questions or batted an eye. At my school, nobody really cares. Soon I'll be out as trans to most people, and I don't expect a huge amount of resistance.

But I stress that it's all about location. I know that if I was in a city school, I'd be mercilessly bullied. I'm just lucky to be in a semi-wealthy suburb.

5. MrSkittles

For the guys who know I'm gay they either don't mind or just don't care are even secretly talk behind my back and say they hate me for being gay(has happend) but not much happens for me

6. Ameryllis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not out yet, but I accidentally followed my friend (who is trans) on Tumblr (my ipad fell and I accidentally pressed 'follow' with my knee), and on my Tumblr it says "girl who likes girls", so he might know. >.< A lot of the people I hang around with are not straight, so they would likely all have a positive reaction towards it. No one at my school seems to have any negative opinions towards the LGBT+ community, so when I do eventually come out, I doubt it would bother anyone.

7. Sean12

I'm a freshmen and I started questioning at the beginning of the school year. I've told 2 people so far. Im hoping to come out to my family soon. So not really much stuff yet. There's a guy that seems to like me. Any experience dating? Thanks for all the replies so far!

8. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm mostly out! Nobody really cares where I live. (Other than my parents and few female friends who think that lesbians kissing/sex is gross but gay guys are hot) You just need to make sure your school is overall accepting and then it's fine. Dating? I was in a relationship with best friend 11 months...but I imagine it'd be hard if I was looking for a new girl. There are quite a few out lesbians, but I personally don't date unless I know I like them and want a relationship

9. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    High school I'm guessing is a mesh of both secondary and pre-college for me here, so...

In secondary I had rumours spread about me being les, but I came out as bi a year later. My school's pretty open to LGBT (it's an all girls school, whaddya think) so the reactions I received were pretty okay, except the few "What you're bi?!" reactions I got. For pre-college, I'm out to a few of my friends, since I just started school and we're not very close. The females know I'm bi (a grand total of 3 people...) and the guys, I'm not sure. The reaction I got, though, from the females: "Whaaat?! As in, les/gay bi?!", "Er, okay," and the best: "Hey, I'm bi too!"

It's been pretty positive all round, so I'm quite thankful, especially since it's a homophobic country... =>=

10. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hell. Small town in Eastern Montana (5000 people). The view that homosexuality should warrant a death penalty was common. Needless to say no one in the high school was out, there'd be no way to survive.

11. I'm almost done with high school, so here are my experiences since freshman year.

Overall, very positive. Everybody couldn't care less about what gender you like, they just care about how seriously you take school and if you're a kind person.

Had mostly guy friends and acquaintances, great people. We like making fun of each other, and my sexuality isn't an exception LOL No worries, we all have very thick skins.

12. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It was a shitty experience, but it could have been worse. The students didn't care, but the direction was pretty transphobic.

I came out as trans so that I could transition. The students were supportive and started to call me by my name and pronouns (with some who forgot and stuff). The direction, however, refused to do it. They said they could get in trouble, but it was just an excuse. They didn't want to use my name in the yearbook, and even when I told them to remove me from it if they didn't want to, they ignored my request. I was lucky to have friends in the yearbook committee. They changed the name for me. They regularly sent me to the principal's office or the psychologist, who both made me feel worse. I entered depression and they told me to stop being selfish.

Needless to say, this school can suck my ass.

13. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like high school is either great or horrific for people.

14. Violet4

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't really have that much of a hard time because very few people knew until the very end. Anyway, a few days before the end of my last year of highschool I decided to wear a man's shirt that read "Nobody knows I'm a lesbian" in bright colorful letters. Nobody really bullied me for that but I sure got some rude comments and weird questions. I loved the reactions and it felt really freeing :slight_smile:

15. state-champs

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I wasn't accepting of my sexuality back and DEFINITELY wasn't out yet...then but I think people might have had an idea that I wasn't heterosexual.

16. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was hell. I had no idea what was going with me, or why I hated being female so much. On top of that I was one of the few 'straight' people that hung out in a group of LGB people, and I constantly found myself in the position of having to be their shield. And I mean a literally shield. Some football players and assholes thought it funny to throw rocks at these guys. And two guys constantly tormented one of my lesbian friends, almost to the point where it could be considered sexual assault, and I just ended up going off on one of the guys and making him cry (no regrets).

Besides that the education just sucked.

17. Confusedmoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a really different experience in high school than I think most people do. I went to an art school for music theatre. Most of the guys that I knew were out- I wasn't. I was still questioning things and didn't feel comfortable, especially because they were all so confident in their sexuality. Plus they were all gay and I just didn't feel like that was who I was exactly. There was a group of straight guys in the program (all of whom were accepting) but I remember this one day when they said "oh it's just us and you ConfusedMoose that are straight in this program" and I felt nice to be in that group, but I also felt bad for lying. There were a couple of guys that I had crushes on, but I couldn't get myself to say anything to them, especially because at the time both of them were also not out and I had no idea that they were gay. It probably would have been ok to come out, but I just wasn't ready.

18. armydude

armydude Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Fucked me up

19. VideoGAYmer

VideoGAYmer Guest

no one really cares. No one takes offense from anything around here so there's no point in trying to bully me since it'll just get deflected back at them.

if anything, people just joke about it. for example, today in maths we were aloud to leave a few minutes early if we had food to pick up from the food tech room. i had wood tech that day and some one said "well VideoGAYmer likes to eat wood, he should go early". the teacher actually accepted that.

20. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Brazil has 3 years of Highschool.

I kinda struggled at the first year because I didn't fully accept my sexuality and felt out of place, but it wasn't all that bad. The last 2 years were fine, but I never left the closet for anyone and the guys I knew were gay also didn't.That didn't really interest me however, because I was too busy trying to get into uni.

I made some good friends there though and some of them are still with me. Turns out some of them are also LGBT (maybe we tend to get together without knowing haha)

So overall, it wasn't the best time but it was far from the hell some people say it was for them.