1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tumblr and Coming Out?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ameryllis, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Ameryllis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey! It's been so long since I started a thread...xD

Anyway, so on my Tumblr I put 'girl who likes girls' in my bio...at the bottom, because I thought I could use Tumblr as a more informal, subtle way to come out to people. It would be so easy to just follow people, and then voilĂ , they would know!

I found a couple friends on there, and neither of them would care if people who they know irl follow them, so...do you think it would seem normal to follow them? Do you think it would seem sort of attention-seeking, or totally normal? I'm scared I'm going to follow them and then regret it. >.<

Please give completely, %100000 honest answers!

2. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    For starters, do they know you're a lesbian, and if not, would they mind?

I would say if you are so unsure, then you shouldn't do it. If there's no real reason to follow them on Tumblr, then like the old saying goes "better safe than sorry". Typically, I would say it's not a problem if you follow them, but I can't fully understand why you feel this way about this, so I'll take it you see some reason you shouldn't follow them. But from my point of view, it seems like it wouldn't be a problem.

#2 Skaros, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  3. Ameryllis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Neither of them currently know about my gayness, and I am 99% certain that they would not mind my sexuality, as they're both gay/bi themselves. :3 I wanted to follow them (or just one of them) as a way of coming out in a more subtle, informal way. I'm not sure how I would go about coming out without making it a big deal otherwise.

My main concern was that they would assume that I'm following them to put myself in the spotlight, with my 'girl who likes girls' description and all. I might be overthinking it, though.

4. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Is girl who likes girls the only thing in your description? If it's just casually placed in a long description somewhere then you're definitely fine.

#4 Skaros, Jan 15, 2016
  5. Ameryllis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, it's placed at the end of a lot of other stuff. I'm probably just overthinking this whole thing.

6. Southern Stoic

Lurking on the dark underbelly of the web
    Since they are not straight themselves and more than likely are not homophobic in any way I'd say you're pretty much in the clear. I wouldn't even worry about it, no big.
    100% your choice though.

#6 Southern Stoic, Jan 15, 2016
  7. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I agree. I think it seems like a subtle and casual way to come out and if you're pretty sure your friends will be okay with it, I say why not? Just make sure that if there's anyone who you don't think would be okay with your sexuality, don't let them know about your Tumblr or change your description.

Best of luck! :slight_smile:

8. Ameryllis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    AHHH I finally did it! 1 hour of overthinking, 20 minutes panicking, and 2 minutes with me hovering over the follow button! xD I only ended up following one friend, but oh well. :3

#8 Ameryllis, Jan 15, 2016
  9. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Skaros about "girl who likes girls" being okay casually placed in a long description.

On my main page I put a few sentences about how I'm obsessed with Metal. I added a link to an "about me" page that mentions I'm bisexual and it also says something like "pro-LGBT" and it seems trivial in comparison to my (relatively) short bio and huge list of interests. I just assume "this is common knowledge about me, like DC 10 or lower (obscure reference)". It's a good balance between getting it out of the way and not being "in your face". The way I see it is, if someone is curious enough, then they'll find out, and it's too bad if they have a serious problem with it

10. Riz

Riz

It's a normal thing to follow irl friends on tumblr! I've honestly got much closer to some of my friends through tumblr since we all have a habit of pouring out of deepest feelings in there. And when I/them notice that we naturally try and help each other.

Back to your question. If I can be all boring and say that most of tumblr is actually very accepting, probably too accepting to the degree that they don't like you if you're not LGBT+.... But well, it's normalized there. And I think you'll do find.
    However, do know that it's a big possibility that your friends won't notice what's in your bio, or that you even followed them XD

11. Ameryllis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, it just occurred to me now that she probably won't care to look at the account who followed her. xD I mean, if she looks in her notifications and sees the icon photo (it's me), then she might check, but otherwise idkkk. ;-;