1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's a good alternative to the word trigger?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Vav, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Vav

Vav Guest

A lot of people on the internet mock people for using the word trigger. I have anxiety issues. Sometimes I get "triggered" by stuff I see on the internet or people say to me. It's not the same as PTSD, but it's still an issue for me. What do you think is a good word I can use instead of trigger?

2. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Annoyed, offended, getting angry etc...

Triggered is a general word, be more specific by using different words according to the context.

3. thepandaboss

More specific is good. "stuff that makes me mildly uncomfortable" "anxiety-inducing".

4. Plattyrex

I would just say it upsets you. Triggered has more or less become a word people on Tumblr use to get out of an argument they're losing, people will take you a lot more seriously if you use alternative words. I have some issues with certain subject matters too, so I understand where you're coming from with this.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Plattyrex. "it's upsetting" is accurate, non-dramatic or emotional, and conveys the experience you're having.

One of the issues with the overuse of the word 'trigger' is the expectation that comes with it. Nearly everyone in the world will have something that triggers them. It could be something revulsing or disgusting, or something more subtle.

And the thing is, we live in a world where these things exist. When we visit websites where various things are discussed, it's not unreasonable to consider that words, phrases, images, etc may pop up that will be upsetting to some.

So it really isn't reasonable, except in really exceptional circumstances (say, a discussion board for people in early stages of recovery from rape or severe PTSD or something) for people to complain about triggers, because... triggers exist everywhere, every day, in nearly every situation. It is therefore on the person being triggered to either not go to places where s/he might be triggered, or (even better) to learn effective strategies for handling the feelings that come up when triggering starts, and, eventually, to learn not to be triggered.

6. denouement

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yeah, it seems your best bet is to specify how you're feeling. I just say "X makes me uncomfortable; I don't like X" and leave it at that.

For a while I did see use of the word "squick," as in "X squicks me out" or "I am squicked by X." Not sure why people started using triggered instead but, that might also be a handy shorthand if people know what you mean. I think it connotates more of a... disgust? Than just anxiety though...

7. Southern Stoic

Lurking on the dark underbelly of the web
    Probably saying 'that upsets me' or 'that bothers me' would be the closest. I tend to use the term 'irk' like 'that irks me' but I reserve that more for mild annoyances and I'm not sure it's all that well known.

8. skyequartz

Out Status:
    A few people
    I often call it a stressor or set off.

9. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Explicit material?

10. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't TV shows already warn viewers that there might be certain scenes people might find offensive or disturbing? I think that just about covers all the potential bases.

11. RainDreamer

Hurt. Because that is what they really do for some people. People are hurt when they hear hurtful things.

12. mothzi

Trigger is the term used by mental health professionals, just because there are some dicks out there making fun of kids doesn't mean we need to rewrite language.