1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I got asked my sexual orientation on a work experience form. :/

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Canterpiece, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why? Just why is it even relevant? I had to fill in this work experience form with my mother(whom I'm not out to yet) and the questions "What is your sexual orientation?" and also "what is your gender identity?" came up.

She obviously ticked "straight" for me (without asking, she just presumed and I don't blame her for doing so), but then I scrolled back up and changed it to "prefer not to say". I don't think she made much of me changing it, but that was just so awkward. I mean, I didn't want to correct her but I didn't want to be potentially called out on it so I just put "prefer not to say" since it's none of their business really.

:dry:

Anyone else had this happen when applying to work experience placements or jobs?

2. McLachlan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Lots have optional questions on this for the purpose of "diversity monitoring". If you apply to University with UCAS you will get asked your gender identity and sexuality and also your national identity and religion, but it's optional and the universities can't actually see the information until after they've made a decision on your application, and it's so that then if a university realises no gay people are applying or something it might have an issue putting them off.

This could potentially be for the same type of purpose, lots of large companies do it.

3. denouement

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've seen a couple job apps like this, and as McLachlan said, when I applied to university they also had similar questions.
    It does seem to be just for diversity statistic reasons... IMO if you're not out or don't want them to know, hit "prefer not to answer" since it's an option, or fill in the wrong answers if it's not (eg, my university app only had straight/gay, male/female). Yeah, it will mess with the stats I suppose, but I dont think it's really vital info in the way work experience or your high school grades would be.

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh my! They can't actually ask you that so it's a good thing that you put prefer not to answer. I've never had that come up in an interview and most certainly would not answer.

5. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess it depends on the job. The security services in my country routinely ask about the applicant's sexual orientation and possible out status if you want to work for them. They also ask about other potentially awkward questions. It's only relevant when you are in the closet and don't want to come out. They want to make sure you cannot be blackmailed by this kind of information. Apparently they are concerned that this sort of information being used by foreign intelligence services in blackmailing their operatives.

You are not seeking a position in MI5 or MI6? I'm not sure if you are old enough for them :slight_smile:

#5 Euler, Jan 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  6. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

:roflmao: No, as far as I'm aware I'm not being recruited by M15 or MI6. XD

:lol:

7. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    We all know what "prefer not to say" means. Someone straight wouldn't take the risk of not getting a job/place just for the sake of playing smart.

8. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    True, which was why I wondered whether or not to just leave it on "straight" or not. I didn't though just in case when I do come out my mum brings it up or something. I don't know anymore, I'm over-thinking this. It's just some silly form anyway.

9. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

It's illegal to ask about sexual orientation on a job application. That's discrimination.
    Are you sure England is that backwards on gay rights?

10. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In most jurisdictions it's legal to ask if the information is relevant for the job. In most cases this is not the case. Also, for monitoring diversity data, it's OK to anonymously ask sexual orientation.

11. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey it's a standard part of an application form in England for medium/large companies but it's not because they want to discriminate it is for statistics and was designed so they can see how many of the work force are in the minorities be that of gender, ethnicity, sexuality, religion etc. As some others have said its not compulsory so you can always chose prefer not to say.

I sympathise that your Mum was there with you and that must have been really awkward but it seems she didn't think anything of you changing it.