1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Had to make it hurt.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by starfish, Feb 2, 2009.

1. starfish

Well when I am not happy I tend to spend money I shouldn't

So as you can imagine I have spent way to much money the past couple of months. I started to realize that a couple of weeks ago. So I started to be more careful with my spending but it hit home tonight.

I carried over some of my credit card balance from December. Stupid I know. I told my self I would watch my self and pay it off in January. Well I did not, and I was stupid in January also.

I debated for a minute what I should do. Transfer the balance to another card and pay it off over the next couple of months, use a different card for a couple of months, pay it off when I get my tax refund, wait until I get my bonus in March. I decided that I just need to cut this off right here. So I transfered the money out of savings and payed it off. That really hurt. I have a plan to put it back, but it means I need to cut back on a few things. Mostly eating out, which I have done good so far. I have ate at home the past 2 days. My goal is to only eat out twice this week.

Hopefully I'll remember this next time I get the impulse to buy something. I really wish I was not so stupid with my money sometimes. My friends complain about their wives not letting them spend money, but it would be nice to have someone to slap me on the back of the head and say don't buy that. They tell me that it must be nice to be single and to buy what ever I want, but no it is not.

2. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

Omg I do the same thing. I've gotten in the habit of loosing my credit card on purpose when I'm emotionally peaked so I dont chew the savings. Also if you have bank of america do that "keep the change" thing. $20 extra dollars everymonth or so in your savings for emergencies works wonders.

3. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

I find it really helps to always pay in cash.
    Only go to the bank once a week and take out the amount that you have decided to spend for that week.

Don't carry credit cards or bank cards around in your wallet unless you need to.
    I find that I spend less when I pay in cash too, because no one likes to break a twenty. It's a way more physical way of keeping track of your money.

Also, curb impulsive spending by sleeping on it. If you wake up the next day and you still really need that new pair of pants, go buy them! But if you've forgotten about them, s'no biggie.

One more thing: carry around a water bottle. I find that I end up spending a wack load of money on drinks/water everyweek. So bringing your own beverage container saves that. Plus, it's eco-friendly.

And those are my tips. :grin: