1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

deciding to go to college lgbt group?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ECMember, Jan 17, 2016.

1. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I feel introduced to go to my college's lgbt group.

I feel somewhat of a bi leaning or bi curious. It's hard to say. I don't want to put a diatribe of my whole sexuality identity history on this post, but feel free to read all my old posts on that subject.

I haven't been positioned in a LGBT spotlight in real life. This message board has been outlet to network with the global LGBT community.

I've been interested in affiliating with the LGBT community at my college.

But I do have some concerns:

Afraid of just "outing" myself in public.
    Would I fit in a LGBT community, if I feel bi curious or slightly bi? I mean, do I need to have a solid LGBT identity marker.
    Are LGBT organizations good for forming relationships? I mean, I'm not really going to my college's LGBT club for a "hook up." More for forming friendships with people. If I find a guy I like there and we have some connection, maybe. But I'm not going there for the hook up.

2. AKTodd

If you're going to socialize with other LGBT people, sooner or later you are likely going to need to have some public exposure (I suppose you could use apps to get around that, but doing so would carry its own issues). So the question becomes when are you comfortable doing that and under what circumstances? Depending on your school, most people probably either won't associate you being with a group with it being LGBT, or won't care. But you're going to college there - so what is your feel about the college?

This would probably vary with the group. They aren't all the same and a lot will depend on the individual people there. Ideally, they should be fine with you being at this stage of figuring yourself out and be supportive of you.

Probably as much as any of the myriad other social groups and organizations that exist on college campuses. A lot will depend on the individual members and a lot will depend on you and how you all interact with each other. You could make friends for life or find you can't stand each other. Or a mix of both, as with any group of any size. The only way to find out is to give it a try and see what happens.

Beyond that, be respectful of other people and open to the idea of being friends, even if they aren't your type or behave very differently from you.

Hope this helps,

Todd