1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The difference between trans and trans*

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ForNarnia, Jan 20, 2016.

1. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Like it says on the tin, can anyone help me with this?

I have an idea of the difference between them, but I just want to make sure I'm not offending anyone with my wrongness :slight_smile:

Is it trans for transgender people and trans* when referring to non-binary people also?

Thanks in advance xx

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Transgender = transmale and transfemale
    Trans* = transgender and non-binary; agender, androgynous, bigender, demigender, genderfluid, genderqueer and two-spirit. (sorry if I missed any, feel free to add)

3. thepandaboss

You're gonna see a lot of debate over this. But to be perfectly honest, I really don't see a difference between either. The asterisk was intended to be "inclusive of the entire umbrella", meaning non-binary folks and so on. But the term transgender, in itself, can already refer to everyone in the transgender community, including binary trans men and women and non-binary people.

If we say 'transgender people', we refer to anyone who identifies as some form of gender variant. They might be a trans man/woman or be genderfluid or genderqueer.

But if we denote that someone is a transgender man, this is referring to an FTM man. Vice versa for a transgender woman.

You don't have to use the asterisk to be honest. Save a character while you're typing.

4. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I see :slight_smile: So trans is okay no matter who you're talking to, but trans* refers to the community as a whole?
    Okay :slight_smile: Got it ^_^ Thanks guys xx

5. Irisviel

Language study is the answer - it boils down to what the "*" means. And it means anything, for instance you can search for a file in a computer by typing name.* if you don't know what the extension is.

Asterisk after trans means more or less that any suffix can follow: -gender or -sexual, or whatever else. And by extending the meaning of the asterisk, people made it into an umbrella term.

However, it is just redundant. Transgender is an umbrella term by definition, "trans*" is redundant and makes little sense to use.

#5 Irisviel, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Trans* started being used because it was a shorthand way of including non-binary identities. Some non-binary people believe that the word transgender only covers binary transgender people. So, they wanted something that was more all encompassing. Now though, there are people that claim that the asterisk is racist amount other things. So, there is a lot of debate about the subject. I made anot her post about it somewhere, I'll find it when I am not on my phone and link to it.