1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alcohol Purchasing...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lostinthought9, Feb 3, 2009.

1. lostinthought9

Ok, don't know if this was posted before or not...but anyways..

Does anyone else feel this way, that here, in the U.S., at age 18 (to name a few privileges), you can vote for your country's leaders, purchase tobacco products, and risk your life by serving in the military...BUT you can't purchase alcohol until you're 21....does anyone else think this is somewhat unfair??

I think if 18 is the legal age for adulthood, then you should be able to buy a drink...

.....just random thinking.....let me know your thoughts :slight_smile:

2. crystaltriforce

i think that's total bullshit. i can get at least five guns and no one would have a problem with it even if i was deemed insane but if i want a shot of vodka it's horribly wrong.

#2 crystaltriforce, Feb 3, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  3. Henrike

I'm not going to agree on this one. For males, your brain isn't completely developed until your mid-twenties. With alcohol having the potential to harm your development in addition to multitudes of people, I'd say the current laws are fair.

4. Gumtree

I think it should stay at 21.

The main reason is because of driving and licenses, many US states having different laws on when you can get what license etc but they try to be consistent nationally in making sure you have a full license and are experienced on the road before you can purchase Alcohol.

5. littledinosaurs

People should be able to do what they want, if they are drinking alcohol in a control manor as so they are not hurting others then they should be able to ruin their brain whenever they want. Besides if i'm old enough to kill someone in war i'm old enough to drink beer.

Also you can't rent a car til you are 25, so idk where they got that age from.

6. thebikelady

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    We should clearly just raise the other ages. If that were the case, my brother wouldn't be married to a terrible girl and in Iraq.

7. Paralyzer

If it moves down from 21 now, I'm gonna be pissed.
    I'm a complicated person... and I want to have the fucking fun of drinking illegally before they legalize it and take that joy away.

Long story... but it kills me

8. littledinosaurs

somehow i don't see how legalizing it takes the joy out of it, if anything it makes it more fun cause you can go to clubs and bars and actually get drinks there.

9. Paralyzer

Yeah, but you gotta be me to know why.
    I'm an irrational person now a days.
    My reasoning really doesn't have anything to do with drinking itself.
    Just some stuff in my life </3

10. myra

At 18 years of age the people who, no offense to anyone, are drinking excessively are the people who aren't responsible anyway. It is legal for 18 year olds to have alcohol if their parents buy it for them. No one is an adult at 18, because as previously stated, your brain isn't fully developed. Most 18 year olds are still dependant on their parents. If their parents find them adult and mature enough to drink, they will buy them the alcohol. Most 18 year olds aren't mature enough though. 21, well...I think that's just barely, but its the age limit that's set. If anything, I think it should be older, but certainly not any younger. Keep the limit where its at.

11. myra

I think that just gives you enough time to establish a good credit report so they know they can trust you financially.

12. Adam

When I'm 21, I wouldn't want 18 year olds at the bars that would be annoying, 21 is a good age, plus is really not hard to get alcohol when your underage.

13. littledinosaurs

ook that kinda makes sense, but the alcohol ban is just ageism and there are plenty of places that have younger drinking ages and its not out of control for exactly that reason.

14. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

Well don't be mad over something that was taken for granted. The age for drinking was lowerd after the Vietnam War to 18. The problem was that those same 18 year olds began to cause problems. They abused the drinking age limit and innocent people were killed or injured for life due to car crashes, alcoholism, suicide etc. Its like car insurance, you have to wait a certain ammount of years ( around 23 years of age for guys) without any infactions, prove to them that you are a responsible person, then they lower your insurance.
    Other countries have had beer alcohol around longer than america. Their kid's kids grew up around it and geneticlly have a higer tolerance for it. Their rates for collisions involving alcohol is also lower.
    Plus making it illegal is what makes it a social drink. "Girls like BAMF not the nice guys" if you catch my drift.

15. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

Alcohol should be illegal for everyone.

The legal age in Aus is 18 btw!

Age limiting things is stupid. when your 17 and 364 days you can't drink, but when your 18 you can! You magically become more mature overnight?

#15 SAGUY84, Feb 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2009
  16. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The legal drinking age is 18 here, but I hardly know anyone who actually cares about that. As a total non-drinker, it doesn't affect me much. I'm probably not the best person to ask, because I hate drinking, I hate the culture of drinking, I hate the way I and many others are insulted and absued for not drinking and I hate what drinking does to so many people, so I'm not going to support making alcohol easier to get.

17. Henrike

People our age drink in a controlled manor? Really? There's a reason why thousands of lives have been saved because of minimum age drinking laws. Eighteen is one of the prime ages of experimentation; we do stupid stuff. I'm not saying 21 year olds are any more responsible, but at least (as mentioned before) they're more likely to be more experienced on the road. Just because you're old enough to defend our country doesn't mean you have to right to put yourself and others in potential peril.

18. lostinthought9

Ok, i want to first start off saying...I respect everyone's opinion that did reply, and that I'm not a drinker, I've only drank twice in my life, and NEVER drove both of those times
    ...but i did notice that some posts disagreed, usually with "responsibility" being their main arguement, espicially when it comes to driving....I want to point out that, in no way am I in favor of drinking and driving...

i also would like to point out that someone up there^^ said that being 18 doesnt make you an adult, I disagree, respectfully, because at the age of 18, you ARE legally an adult, which is why I think that the drinking age should be 18, because if the law thinks that we can serve in the military, and vote for our future leaders, then we should be able to handle the responisibilty of having a drink...

also want to point out that someone above said that they wouldn't want 18 year olds in bars, because it would be annoying, but we (18 year olds) are allowed into a bar, just not able to purchase alcohol...

^^by no means did I mean for my opinions to offend anyone, but I will argue my point across, respectfully, of course :slight_smile:

19. Defender

Defender Guest

I reckon it should stay at 21. I really don't know why alcohol is such a big deal to some people.

20. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

They moved it to 21 due to drunk driving and other tragedies occurring. No, keep it the way it is. Due to the fact that our brains aren't fully developed at 18, also move back the voting age to 21.

They should move the draft age to 21 as well.

Please don't bash me on this and respect my opinion since I know most of this site won't agree with me.