1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My pan friend is coming out using a class speech and needs help with ideas.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DragonsInSpace, Jan 21, 2016.

1. DragonsInSpace

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi everyone. My friend is pansexual and she plans to come out in a speech to her English class in a few days. In this speech she would like to talk a bit about the community and she was wondering what she should say about it as there are a number of homophobes in her class and she wants to try and, I guess, shed light on the LGBT community for them because most of them are just kinda ignorant about the whole thing. She's afraid of accidentally making us look bad, so what sorts of things to you think she should say? (She hasn't got an account here so I offered to ask you guys on her behalf.) Thanks everyone!

2. Agent 47

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ooh thats cool, if I had more courage I'd do the same. I think that explaining key LGBT+ could lead to better understanding, or saying that you don't have to understand or enjoy others but you have to accept differences.

3. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The LGBT has long been oppressed by cis-het people, but just because you are cis-het doesn't mean you have to be against us. It's not an 'us' and 'them' situation. It's different groups of people all accepting each other and fighting for acceptance in the countries that don't yet have legal rights. I'm guessing you know what LGBT stands for, but 'cis' means cisgender, and 'het' means heterosexual, which is about 90% of this class. Just because LGBT is in the minority 10%, doesn't mean it has to be marginalized. Like I said, it's about acceptance, not domination for biological stuff nobody can choose. There are many people I know, that even today, will choose to ignore me. And that's fine, go ahead and play on your phones and do whatever you have to do. LGBT people are just like you. If you're in those 'cool' groups, I can tell you now that [statistically] in your group of 10-20 people, there will be one or two of you who are LGBT. They don't need to come out, and you can't make them. No straight person has to. However, if they do choose to come out, you should feel privileged. It means they trust you, so, can you tell me, are you to be trusted?

If you are, and I won't make you raise your hand now, then I will tell you more about how to be a good ally. A good ally is about standing up for LGBT rights, because you never know, maybe one day you'll need them to stand up for you. What you first need to do is educate yourself, knowing what words are always offensive, what words are sometimes offensive but sometimes not (depending on the individual) and what words are polite. Then, you need to work out how you're going to defend someone if they're being bullied. My suggestion would be is to assess the situation, is there a chance you or someone else could get seriously hurt? If so, back away from the main situation, and grab someone in authority who can diffuse the argument. Remember, in 2005 an act made that violence sparked by homophobia or trans phobia can have double punishment.

This is what I've got so far, It's definitely not complete and probably needs refining, but there's some detail there that could be picked apart.

Maybe also go through the different types of sexuality and gender.

#3 Secrets5, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  4. DragonsInSpace

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's a good idea, thanks. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 21st Jan 2016 at 12:38 PM ----------

Wow! Thanks so much for taking the time to type all that out! This is really good, I'll send her a link and she can read it for herself. Cheers, mate!