1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coffee shop dates

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JiminyJordy, Jan 23, 2016.

1. JiminyJordy

JiminyJordy Guest

Hello everyone!

I've been considering why a lot of first dates (or seconds or thirds) happen in coffee shops. I can see the appeal in meeting singles in this type of setting, but I also wonder why more people don't choose more leisurely activities for first dates like bowling, go carts, or indoor rock climbing.

The main reasons I've gathered from brainstorming are convenience and environment. There are probably several scattered throughout your town so it's an easy outlet to spend an hour or two just hanging out. Places like Starbucks also offer a warm, laid-back environment perfect for socializing. The smell doesn't hurt either while you're sitting there chatting with your mate. Yes, I love the smell of fresh coffee brewing--don't judge lol

So have any of you been on coffee shop dates before? Do you typically prefer this type of environment or do you seek out other ways to enjoy the dating scene?

#1 JiminyJordy, Jan 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  2. trojan

1)so you can have a conversation and get to know the person. kinda hard to have a conversation while driving a go kart.
    2)cheap.
    3)non-threatening; it can be seen as a 'date' or as just getting to know the person. whereas when you ask someone to dinner and dancing the implication is that hopefully the date is leading up to the 'horizontal rhumba', like getting a hotel room together right on the first date.

#2 trojan, Jan 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  3. thepandaboss

A few times. An ex-girlfriend and I used to hit up Barnes and Noble and go for drinks. It's definitely not a bad idea for casual dates. For one, it's pretty much open throughout the day. No obligation to buy dinner (so it's cheap). Relaxing atmosphere and potential for caffeine. If I can write a novel in a coffee shop, I can date someone in it.

4. armydude

armydude Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    "Indoor rock climbing: in case your first date isn't weird enough already!"

5. joshvolby

i did invite a girl back when i was in college for a first date in a coffee shop reasons:
    1. cheap
    2. the girl wont be suspicious that i will flirt with her (always consider how she will feel comfortable and safe)
    3. we could focus in getting to know each other (have a first date in a bar good luck hearing each other, indoor sports well you guys will just end up talking about how to beat each other, beach oh lots of gorgeous body you cant focus with your date)

6. Psaurus918

Coffee shops are usually quiet, cheap and offer desserts. Personally I'm not picky and could careless where I spend my first date but I can see how coffee shops are appealing.

7. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    1. Comfortable, laid-back.
    2. Cheap
    3. Can get to know each other easily.

8. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think coffee shop dates are very appropriate especially for first dates. I've been on quite a few of them which led after a few times which is where you get to know the person on a personal level. I have been asked after two or three coffee dates if I would like to go bowling, rollerskating, mini golfing, etc. but that usually happens after those few coffee dates.

9. rudysteiner

A coffeeshop is the ideal 'I can escape easily here if you're a murderer' context. Rock climbing sounds great as a group thing though. What if you get to the top of the wall before them and when they're on the way up you've already absailed down and you're just there, looking at them?

10. thepandaboss

Yeah, I'm gonna second (third? Tenth?) that. Coffee shops are just easy, you know. I mean, every town has one. They're pretty casual and laid back. If you want to do a day date, great. Evening date, works too. So good for flexible schedules.

And when they get super fucking awkward, you have an easy way out. I actually had a terrible date at a coffee shop yesterday, lol. Nice guy but it was painfully, painfully awkward. And having it at a coffee shop I go to all the time made it easy for me to say "Oh my god, you know what, I'm super sorry but something came up and I really have to run". So no figuring out an escape plan, no trying to sneak out during a movie or dinner or something. And I only spent like $4 all together because he insisted on buying his own drink.

11. AlamoCity

They're cheap and in an open and safe environment but I don't really like them much. Too quiet. I prefer Chillis and a movie.

12. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been on a coffee shop date before, per se. But it wasn't at a coffee shop :lol: We actually got Rita's Italian Ice and then walked through Walmart looking for stuff he needed. It was hella fun. Occasionally, we both look back and it was a very fond memory. But yeah, those kind of dates are fun, really fun!!

13. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To me, coffee shops for first dates are great because:

- Like others have said, it's cheap

- It's informal

- Relaxed

- Not too noisy (for the most part) so you can hear each other talk

- Some coffee shops have comfortable seating (Like a couch in a corner) so you can really just chill

14. sonnentanz

Coffee is cheap, talk-focused, and easy to leave early if the date's going horribly. Amusement parks have their place, but if you're going on a lot of dates the price is going to add up quickly for attendance, food, gas, etc.

#14 sonnentanz, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  15. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with what everybody else has said. It'd be fine with me, but I also think it'd be super cute if a guy took a stab in the dark and took me somewhere he thought I'd like, based on our conversations.

#15 HM03, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  16. faustian1

Who knows? It could be love at first sight...

17. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cafes are pretty much the safest bet for most casual social interactions. They're a neutral setting virtually everyone is comfortable with. And because of the timeframe in which one generally has coffee, there's less pressure or expectation that alcohol be involved, which is a positive for a lot of people.

Though responding to a casual comment from the OP, I would rather be seen dead than on a date in Starbucks.