1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sexism in sports

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by EnchanterForest, Jan 24, 2016.

1. EnchanterForest

I used to play football (soccer) for a girls team in NZ, but ever since I moved here I haven't been able to find a team nearby. If I wanted to play it would mean I have to travel for at least an hour to train, when there is a club just down the road from us. They did have a team but I was to old to play. So now I play basketball for a Gloucestershire Club. I noticed there was less discrimination in basketball, most club try there best to cater for a girls team and if they can't cater for your age group they tell you the closest club, which at most is a 40 minute drive away. The coaches are different as well here, for football they would look down on me (unless they were a female too), but in basketball the coaches saw me as a player and coached me like they would with the boys.

Is just to do with the sport? Thought on Sexism?

2. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lot of my female friends are gymnasts, and while guys are technically allowed on the team, it's laughed at and sort of unthinkable. It pisses me off. People should be able to play what they want without society judging them.

3. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wish they could have mixed teams, I'm not saying every single one has to be, but if there was a league for people who wished to play with both sexes [all genders].

For those that want a bit of restoration [not about sports], I was watching a What Would You Do where a boy wanted to play with barbies and wear dresses [stereotypical female], and 2/3rds of the people stood up for the boy when an older man was being rude about him.

#3 Secrets5, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016