1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which do you differ from your parents more: religion or politics?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Wander, Feb 4, 2009.

?

In which field do you differ more from your parents?

1. Religion; we have more in common concerning politics

14 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. Politics; we have more in common concerning religion

9 vote(s)
    15.5%
  3. Both, we don't agree on either subject

18 vote(s)
    31.0%
  4. Neither, we're on pretty level ground

17 vote(s)
    29.3%
  1. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Note, this is NOT a thread to debate or discuss other members' religion or politics. I just want to know how you guys line up with your parents and which field has more common connections between you. Of course not everyone has two parents with identical views on things, but that's for you to explain in your post. Try not to respond to other peoples' posts if all you're going to do is argue with them. Comments and discussion are more than welcome, though.

I'll get around to posting mine in a minute.

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Politics. My mother and I have very different political views (and I'm incredibly sick of hearing her trash Obama), but I have pretty similar religious views to both of them.

3. Brandford

4. Politics. My mother is a staunch Democrat, I am not. We agree that it's very unlikely God exists.

5. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Politics

My dad is a liberal democrat, and I'm a conservative republican o.o .

6. StrataScribe

being an athiest, i totally clash with my parents as dad's a catholic and mum's a christian. and just to drive the point home, i dont even know what the difference is between the two. nor do i really care enough to find out...

as for politics...my parents and i dont talk much about it

7. Amy

Amy

Neither. While both of my parents are Christian and Democrat, we have many...disagreements on both subjects.

8. Courtneyyy

Neither. I've recently found out that I am pretty much the same person as my mom (except she's straight, as far as I know). We have pretty much the same political views. We have similar religious beliefs. There are many other things that we are way the same on. It kinda scares me.

9. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Religion. I'm an atheist and my family is Catholic, even though they never attend church. We have liberal views which are similar.

10. Kat22

Definately politics. Im quite liberal and my parents are VERY conservative. While I don't attend mass as much as the rest of my family, I do share very similar religious beliefs with them.

11. myra

Both. Lol.

Mom=conservative, republican, hard core christian
    Dad=conservative, republican, higher power believer
    Me=liberal, something, agnostic/atheist (depends on the day)

12. zoeee

neither...neither of us believe in god really and all of us are very liberal and have similar political opinions...even though i'm not as interested in politics as i should probably be at my age :slight_smile:

13. xequar

I said religion over politics. Although my parents are Christian and I'm something of a Pantheist meets Atheist meets Agnostic, we all agree that everyone should be free to believe as they want and that there are probably a plurality of correct answers to the Universe.

When it comes to politics, though... My dad is one of those gun-toting "out of my cold dead hands" crazies, and he votes based solely on the rights he claims are in the 2nd Amendment. He also tends center-right on a number of issues, so we disagree about a number of things. My mom is a little more rational and very centrist. She actually didn't vote for president this election because she didn't like either candidate. The thing is, though, that neither of them are very interested in politics, whereas I live, eat, and breathe politics.

14. jazzrawr

With my mom, we're the same on both counts. We're pretty similar, although she's more spiritual than I am. Neither of us are religious.

With my dad, I actually have no idea. He doesn't talk about his views very often.

15. Dazed

Dazed Guest

my parents dont really care about politics. but they are stupid and complain that Obama is black.

i dont really talk to them about what i believe in. i dont really believe in "god" but live my life based on Karma. what goes around comes around. and my mom is Catholic. i think i spelled that right. and my dad is weird and has his own private verison of the bible that says white people come froma different planet. i have never seen this bible so if anyone knows where i can find a copy let me know hahahaha yes i know my dad is a crazy idiot.

16. kaster

I was brought up with no religion, my parents arent religious and they didnt have us baptised or anything like that, they believed it would be our choice when we were older. My mum is pretty much Athiest but my dad would say he was Christian if asked cause he holds some of the values but doesnt necessarily believe in the Bibles teachings and doesnt go to church..
    I'm Athiest / Agnostic a bit.. I'm pretty much equal to them on political views too.

17. TheRoof

my family-republicans
    me-democrat

as of religion, our family doesnt go to church, and only my mom's baptized.
    however, im the only athiest in my family. they do believe god exists, i don't

18. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Personally, my religious affiliation (read: there isn't one) is on average the exact opposite of my parents. Sort of. Neither of them are hyper-religious, but my dad is more..."focused" on religion than my mom. She's in about the same place I was a year or two ago - she has some huge questions about the existence of divine beings and the validity of organized religion, but she holds on to it for comfort.

Politically, my dad is a moderate Republican and my mom a liberal independent. She grew up in a very difficult early life, being the second-youngest of four kids and not having a father around to help out. Turns out both her oldest sister and younger brother are/were gay (the uncle died of AIDS shortly before I was born), which really opened her up to be more accepting and friendly to people different from her. My dad comes from a much more rural, traditional family model, and he sticks to it as much as he can. He's hard to pin down in terms of politics, but I can at least see eye-to-eye with him on some things despite being the angriest liberal activist in the south I know of.

So I voted neither.

19. MusicIsLife

Neither. My mom and I are both liberal, and we're both about the same as far as religion. I actually think im more religious than she is.

20. littledinosaurs

Religion, they put more stock into it than i do
    but generally we are both Democrats.