1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Locker Rooms

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lovetoomuch, Jan 25, 2016.

1. lovetoomuch

I'm a few years past high school, so I luckily don't have to worry about this anymore. But I remember being in high school and the locker room being a very uncomfortable situation. Being a horny teenager, I wanted to stare at guys and did it a fair share of times, but I also had to be really careful not to get caught.

While I wasn't out in high school (and I'm still not fully out now) because I wasn't even sure of my sexuality, I would think the locker room situation would have made coming out very awkward. Some straight individuals seem to have this strange belief that a gay guy or girl is attracted to everyone of the same sex, which is obviously stupid.

I'm very curious what this situation would have been like if I was out as gay in high school. Would the school make accommodations? I'm sure a lot of bullying would have occurred. I give a ton of credit to people who come out at such a young age.

Firstly, I hope I'm not the only one to deal with the locker room struggle and the temptation to stare - because this would be awkward then lol. But secondly, I'd like to hear how people have dealt with it if you were out in high school.

#1 lovetoomuch, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  2. Spiderstalker

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    where i live, high schools are much smaller buildings than in the U.S, so we don't have lockers nor shower at school hours nor anything like that, is merely sitting at class for your scheduled field hours and then bell rings and you go home, so i guess our type of schools might prevent ''further bullying'' perhaps, although the bullying here resumes to pretty much physical or verbal things during class, break hours and fights outside in the streets

3. VideoGAYmer

VideoGAYmer Guest

What i do is just get changed in the corner and just say it's uncomfortable to get changed and and i don't want them to see me half naked, then they don't notice you staring (if you just can't help yourself) since they tend not to look. i tend not to stare but there might be someone in my P.E. who i may slightly like , slightly.

4. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm out as liking girls to my whole school; I live in a (somewhat) progressive area so nobody really cares. I just keep my eyes to myself.

Unfortunately, I'm still using the girl's changing room.

5. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even if I weren't transgender, I can't imagine I'd enjoy locker rooms very much. Everyone knows I'm attracted to females, but none of the girls in my class are really worth looking at in this kind of setting.

#5 Reciprocal, Jan 25, 2016
  6. Ryu

Ryu

When I'm getting changed after a PE lesson, I just try and not suffocate because apparently windows can't be opened so you breathe without having to inhale teenager sweat and lynx (axe for non-english people).

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's never been a problem for me. Not only have my schools not been homophobic, but I never felt the need to check out other guys. It just seemed a bit rude given we're all in there to change and clean up, not to come on to one another.

In a locker room, coming across as confidant and nonchalant will probably make everyone involved more comfortable - you won't feel so vulnerable and others won't feel you're there just to eye them off.

8. AlamoCity

I have used locker rooms before and I just try to stick to my business.

That said, Americans (especially those after the baby boomers) are very prudish even in locker rooms. Some will "towel dance" and almost trip themselves not to show any skin.

9. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can only guess, but my guess is that coming out in my era would have made the locker room a living hell. Indeed, coming out would have made life, period, a living hell.

As for staring, I did check other guys out when I was a teenager. But I wouldn't stare for a lengthy period, either.

10. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    God, locker rooms, there's something I haven't thought about in awhile. I used to be anxious about going in those until I realized I could freak out the other guys, stereotypical jocks mostly by intentionally staring at their penises when we had to shower after gym glass. This slowly made them avoid me until I'd be the only one in the shower going "Guys? Where's everybody? Hey come on in, I'm lonely!" And they'd stay the hell away from me because if they so much as made a homophobic slur they'd get a trip to the principle's office (I grew up in a very strict, progressive community, which is odd because I hated myself for being gay until I was 28.).

11. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd agree, except I'd say the noticeable prudishness starts after Generation X (my generation), not Baby Boomers.

In addition to the towel dance, I have noted many guys at swimming pools wear a shirt that is worn when making a transition from underwear to swim suit (or vice versa). Or they choose a locker where there is no one else around with no/limited line of sight.

12. eMei

Definitely this. There's nothing worse than the smell of boys' changing rooms, I swear.

I do feel quite uncomfortable in our changing rooms, though. They're quite cramped and I'm not really sure where to look, so I usually just look down and day dream.

13. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'll never forget the eye watering aroma of my junior high locker room at the start of 8th grade... Funny, because it wasn't so bad in 7th grade, although PE didn't start until we were about 1/4 of the way through the year. I suppose daily use helped air it out.

---------- Post added 25th Jan 2016 at 03:40 PM ----------

What a great idea!

14. guitar

I treat locker rooms just like any straight guy: eyes on the floor, try not to stare. Changing rooms have always made me uncomfortable.

I'm kinda glad I wasn't out in highschool gym class because my class was stacked with douchey jocks and it already sucked being in there as a "straight" guy who was 6 feet tall and decently big. I can't imagine the amount of suspicion I'd be viewed with and potential bullying I might have gone through. I had friends (who later came out as gay and already by 14 were *different* from their peers) who were bullied badly in the locker room in other classes. At that age all I wanted to do was blend into the background and just get through the day. I was decent at sports but never a treat to dethrone the best jocks in the class, and I could usually talk my way out of problem situations so I got through gym, and highschool in general, unscathed.

For those of you going through the whole locker room experience, I definitely relate to the awkwardness and potential bullying issues. I've never found it a particularly fun place to be.

#14 guitar, Jan 25, 2016
  15. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Bad idea. If your eyes are touching the floor, they might catch athlete's foot :lol:

My vivid memory from jr. high was that it seemed like the rule was look straight ahead, focused well above waist level. The only time I recall that rule being broken was when a guy started for the showers one day, and another boy yelled to him that he'd forgotten to take his underwear off. I suppose it was a kindness bending the Unspoken Rule that time so that one boy didn't spend the rest of his day wearing dank underwear.

16. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    Locker rooms in middle were crazy, especially 8th grade. All I can say is that boys will be boys.

17. Sean12

That's hilarious

18. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The teachers were visible and maintained order at my school. That said, some events stick to mind:
    • A boy in 7th grade who stood above the lockers, maybe was on them, totally nude at the time.
    • A boy talked about starting a petition for co-ed showers
    • One day, the showers were running, and all the boys were by the entrance. My teacher angrily asked what was going on. One boy gravely said that someone had farted shower.
    • Not a locker room incident as such, but one day I was out on a field with a couple of other guys. One realized he needed to pee. Rather than make the long trek to the locker room, he headed for the edge of the field. The other guy went along. This field was bordered by a moderately busy street.
    • In 8th grade, a boy came out the gym one day before my period giggling hysterically. He passed by some friend, and said, in between giggles, that another boy had peed in the showers that day.

19. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    I remember this one time, someone dropped a stink bomb in the locker room, so we weren't allowed to change for the day.

20. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I luckily have never had this happen to me. Although sometimes I get weird dreams where I'm in a boys and girls locker room.