1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is making male friends hard for gay guys?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ricoca, Feb 5, 2009.

1. ricoca

Does the fact that you're gay makes it hard for you to get male friends?

I never doubt my communication skill, but somehow I clam up when I see a guy. Even if he's trying to be nice, it's hard for me!

What are your views on this matter?

2. davo-man

Ive never found it difficult. Like, I enjoy being friends with girls so that I can swoon over Ewan McGregor and watch flicks like Moulin Rouge and Centre Stage, but I like being friends with guys so I can go out for pub meals and stuff...I dunno why, but even though I get crushes on my straight mates, I'm able to divorce that feeling from my friendship, if that makes sense...Like, I dont let the crush get in the way of being good friends with them

3. xequar

I've never had problems making male friends, and as a point of fact, most of my friends are male. I go into it knowing that I'm not wanting (like a relationship) and go from there.

4. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    depends at my last school i had more female friends then male and now i have more male

5. myra

I dunno how it is for them, but for me I feel weird making female friends.

6. BeautifulStranger

It was hard at first, but now I find that guys are generally better friends.

My male friends are generally very up-front and confrontational, which is a lot nicer than what some of my female friends do.
    My theory is this... since women have vaginas, they also have drama to fill the void.

7. lodiug

For me it's a little hard... Most guys at my school are all macho gangsta acting and I can't really see myself hanging out with them. Especially when they start to talk about sex and girls, I always want to walk away.......

8. sdc91

At my old school, about 80% of my friends were girls, but here it's about 60% guys. I don't have a problem being friends with guys I don't find hot, but when I think a guy is hot I can't even say hi to him because I get really self conscious.

9. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

Yeah I have the same issue. Guy's got mad at me becusae it was always easy for me to talk to girls. When it comes to talking to any guy I get quiet as well. I think the reason is cuz in the back of my head I'm wondering "would they still talk to me with they knew I was gay" idk. Though its hard for me to talk to them, I still do talk to them. My bestfriends are guys and we get along great. That vagina quote is sooooooooooo true.

10. Adam

Most of my friends are guys, but I'm not out yet so it might change.

11. ricoca

Thanks for the input :grin:
    I really appreciate it.

12. myra

I love it! lol. its so true!

13. pianomike

I've never found it hard to make friends with guys or girls. I do have a slight amount more girls as friends than guys....hmmm i wonder why?

14. TheRoof

that's exactly how i feel. somehow i find a lot of guys really immature.

15. I just feel more comfortable around girls. I really am not that good....am terrible fail epically at making conversation when I don't know someone, and I find that girls are more likely to start a conversation than guys. I also don't share a lot of the stereotypical interests as heterosexual males, like American football, cars, and women. But I'm not sure that it's because I'm gay; rather, I think it's just my personality (which are not mutually exclusive to each other).

16. joss22

I do not find it hard to make friends who are guys, in fact, I probably have more guy friends than girls, even though I can be more open to the girls. I easily converse with complete strangers which helps, I never really feel afraid speaking to people, guys or girls. It is not so much what gender the person is, but who they are, for instance none of my friends are really jocks, they are all the geeks and people who follow their own path rather than conform with societal standards.

17. Bryan

I usually dont have a problem, but I deff have more female friends than male friends, but I am fairly effeminate, so that could just be me.

18. littledinosaurs

Most of my friends are lesbians.... so they aren't like typical girls.
    I used to have guys as friends but they were all *ssholes so i stopped hanging out with them. And the straight girls were *ssholes too so i ditched them too. I personally think my town is just full of terrible people.

19. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a lesbian, I have trouble making female friends. A lot of straight girls who know my sexuality are very cautious around me - when I came out, my friends stopped hugging me, touching me, eventually even talking to me.

20. Like I do with most people, if they want to be my friend then sure but otherwise I will not go out of my way to make male friends. I despise like 95% of the male gender so I'm not going out of my way to be friends with them.