1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Financial Aid

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by myra, Feb 5, 2009.

1. myra

What do you all think about the US government's way of giving out financial aid to college students? I think its a pretty fair way, in all honesty. My roommate on the other hand hates it and says its stupid because they gave her nothing and she's going to school on loans. My family falls below the poverty line so I'm going to school on all government funding. What's your guys's experience with it? How do you feel about their method, the FAFSA, whatever?

2. Dazed

Dazed Guest

i got loans grants and such.
    which is fine i got 10,000 for school this year. and that covers everything i need.

my sister who is going to the same school got more aid then she needed. and she just gets the money back. which is kind of a waste since it is meant to be spent on school.

i dont like the fact that my parents income counts for my income as well. since in 21 i dont really look to them to pay for my classes.

3. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

We got a great Expected Family Contribution from FAFSA, so I'm happy so far.

4. thebikelady

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My college payment breakdown worked out so that we paid as we went for 25%, scholarship for 25%, grants/aid money for 25%, and loans finished out the remaining 25%. It is mostly ok, but flawed in some ways. My friend received no help from her parents, but was still required to have their info on the FAFSA. That screwed her out of aid. The FAFSA assumes that parents will be helping with the cost. It required her to be older (24ish best I remember), or married to leave them off of it. He education wound up being out of pocket/loan.

5. Dazed

Dazed Guest

here your family income counts untill youre 25, married, or have a child.
    ill be done with school by the time im 25.
    i dont see me getting married anytime before 30
    and im gay so the chances of having child are very slim ha

lucky for me my parents are mostly " self employed" and dont file taxes.

6. TheRoof

i think it pretty much sucks.
    mostly you end up with loans with high interests and then you'll like have to pay it back til you're like 40 or something. (might be exaggeration but its true!)
    my sister is going to columbia university next year and they dont offer any scholarships regardless of grades and stuff so she has to pay all the tuition by loans, which pretty sucks.
    and as for me, im still considered international student (even though i lived here for like 4years now...im in immigration process right now...still have to wait for another 3 years or something to get a green card) so basically my scholarships possibilites are poorer than other people's, which sucks even more because if i were a US citizen or green card holder, i would be able to get scholarships really easy-considering my academic records.

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I've used it for all my kids and it has worked. We had no money saved for college and without scholarships and grants we would of had to borrow all the money.

8. Rainbow

I think its fair but not since I probably wont be getting any and my family needs some. But we are middle class and have money. We used to have more and my dad is retired. The colleges I am looking at are super expensive. I dont think its fair for someone who is poor gets to go to a more expensive college because they can get the money for it when an average person will go to a cheaper college cause they are not getting any money for it. I hope that made sense.
    Also I dont think its fair that when you get a scholarship its what you will be majoring in. My sister got one and ended up changing majors and lost her scholarship. I dont know what I will be majoring in so its hard to find a good scholarship with no specific things.

9. Dazed

Dazed Guest

you dont think its fair for a poor student who has got good grades to be able to go to an expensive college?

thats not right. most kids work their ass off to get into those school so they wont end up poor.

10. Rainbow

If they have the grades then yes... but if I have the grades also and people are poorer then me get money and I dont get any and they get to go but I cant since I wont get money. If financial aid says you can pay $2,00 dollars for a college they can go to one thats $5,000 or $10,000 and they will get money to go to it.
    I feel selfish.... but I really want to go to this college and its soo expensive. I mean I got a scholarship but its not enough.

11. Dazed

Dazed Guest

the most expensive school oyu have to have good grades to get into.
    i need a 3.0 at least to go to JMU which is James Madison Uni.
    i had a 1.5 when i left high school hahaha. but i ramble.

the point is if these kids are getting into great schools. then they should have money to pay for it.

12. Rainbow

^ You are saying that more expensive schools are for the smartest people?

13. Dazed

Dazed Guest

pretty much so.

14. Rainbow

That is so not true. Ill pm you and explain why.
    If anyone else wants to know then pm me.

15. Miles D

Well my family is assets-rich, but income-poor. And they just got a divorce, but there's no box to check for "Did your parents just spend $8,000 getting a divorce?"
    My school gave me a scholarship worth about 1/2 my tuition, but I'm having to take out a loan for the rest. (~$25,000). :confused:
    so, I mean, its okay. not great, but okay.

16. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Schools usually give smarter people a lot of financial aid and most top schools have lower tuition.

17. Courtneyyy

When I filled out FAFSA I didn't qualify.
    Makes no sense as my family is lower middle class. Living off my mom's teaching salary. (plus NO child support from my 'dad').

I don't think so much of it should be based on your parents' income. My mom has not helped me pay for tuition or books (altho, i'm living at home, rent free). Luckily I'm at a community college and it's around $1,500 semester. This is my fourth semester (plus a summer session) and I've paid for all of it myself and have no money to do anything else with.