1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think people's beliefs affect their credibility?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Vav, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Vav

Vav Guest

Let's say I write a book about psychology. The book never references paranormal stuff. I believe in paranormal stuff in my personal life. Will this change your opinion on how credible my book is?

2. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I treat a book as a work of fiction.
    All I'd care about would be the book, the plot, the characters etc. I usually treat it as if it's another universe, I like doing so.
    It would'nt affect the credibility of the book, at least not me.

3. Funn

Funn Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think people are intelligent enough to keep their personal beliefs separated from what they are doing if it is not relevant. If you were writing that book, and you were unable to keep your beliefs from showing through, that might say something about your own self-control, which might affect your credibility. Since the question asked about a book in which you did manage to separate personal belief from your work on psychology, I can't see how anyone can justify doubting you based on your private thoughts.

4. Murphy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If we're talking a fictional book, it doesn't matter at all.

If we're talking about a non-fiction book about psychology, personal beliefs and biases should be taken into consideration, but in your example, it sounds like the book could still be credible.
    However, just because it doesn't mention paranormal activity doesn't mean it couldn't be biased. For example, a religious fundamentalist might write a book about biology that never once mentions religion but holds a skeptical view of evolution. In that case, the writer's personal beliefs could be impacting the content of the book, even if they're not addressed directly.

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It would depend entirely on how seriously you might take the irregular beliefs. If you were to equate the reality of your professional insight into psychology with your silly belief in the paranormal, then that would be a sign of poor judgement and inconsistent regard for fact and the scientific method, regardless of whether the book itself were correct.

6. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If the two are completely seperated, then there's no way one has anything to do with the other, right?

So, if you write a book which has nothing to do with spirituality, and you prove everything in the book logically, then it should be all okay. :icon_bigg

Actually, saying things like "this book is NOT true, because he's very spiritual and believes in..." is not even a valid argument. =) So you'll be fine. :slight_smile:

7. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't see why it would necessarily be a problem, although people might form judgements if you make it common knowledge that you're into paranormal stuff. I know hardly anything about almost most authors of non-fiction books I read. They could be total nihilists for all I care. I try to judge ideas based on their own merit.

The way I see it is, nobody holds all the correct answers, even if they think they do.

I think it's annoying when an author waffles on about their personal life. The only waffles I like are the kind I eat!

8. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Well, my father is an illuminati/ufo/nwo conspiracist so yeah I think that effects his credibility on certain subjects when I know for a fact hes getting information from biased sources.

9. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It would depend on firstly, if your book was a work of fiction, and secondly, if you have the proper education that can back up what you said in the book.

For me I don't care about the BG of an author. Something simple as an example: "Maintaining an open posture makes you more confident" I would take it as a truth, as long as you don't have something stupid that is seriously unbelievable. On the other hand, if you say something along those lines that have paranormal hinting, I won't believe it.

Instead of looking at BG, I look at how believable the words are- as long as you give me a sense of 'I know what I'm doing and this is how it goes' I will find your book credible. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Your beliefs should always be taken into account, but they don't take away the merit of what you're saying.

People who simply refuse to listen to someone else on a particular subject just because they have differing opinions on other subjects are just showing their arrogance and can certainly lose valuable information.

11. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It would affect my view on your person and your ability to think critically - especially if I lacked the competence to judge your book against scientific knowledge in the field.

Suppose I know you are big believer of paranormal stuff and I buy your psychology text book. Now let's further supposed I don't have much knowledge of psychology that I basically have to rely on my common sense when assessing your books credibility - then I would be very skeptical of your book. Because if I know you can't critically assess evidence there is probability that you cannot be critical even with the other topi either.

12. 101DeadRoses

I agree with Quem.

I doubt it would really affect your credibility.
    Psychology and the paranormal are different things entirely anyway. Keep one separate from the other, and it should be fine.

After all, a muslim can write an accurate book on Christ and Christianity, even without believing in either themselves, as long as they study and write without bias.

Also, try to avoid bringing up the Paranormal or spirituality pretty much anywhere on this site. You wouldn't believe the hypocrisy of some of our own people.

"Your personal beliefs that don't affect me at all or are harmful in any way are fine unless I don't agree with them, then I'll call you stupid."

*Sarcastic megabitch mode engaged* Good job having an open mind and a live and let live attitude, friend. Great way to stand for a place of acceptance and listening!

Ugh.

At the very least, people could be respectful instead of saying that a belief (which is also backed up by different evidence than theirs, and people's personal experiences) immediately means that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Anyway, I'm going to end this rant before I get a troll on my ass now.

Write your book, sweetie, and just remember that as long as you know your shit about psychology and keep everything else out of the mix, you're fine.

13. Plattyrex

I dunno. I kinda believe in the paranormal stuff too, so maybe that kinda blurs my judgement, but I would say I probably wouldn't care if I was of the opposite ened of the spectrum.

14. Vav

Vav Guest

I know what you mean. On my previous accounts here I was terrified of bringing up my spiritual and paranormal beliefs on here. I'm getting more firm in my beliefs, so I don't mind talking about them once in a while.

I kind of knew people here would be hostile towards spirituality. Mainly because a lot of gay people become Atheists With Rage tm. They're so angry about what religion says about gay people they hate all signs of spirituality. A lot of Atheists With Rage tm also act like evangelical Christians. It kind of makes sense because that's the behavior they grew up with. I'm happy I grew up in a non-religious household.

15. Funn

Funn Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I grew up in a religious household. It was my Christian beliefs that taught me to love everyone regardless of whether they are perfect or not. I'm not sure I even understand where Christians or non-christians got the idea that God has any hatred toward gay people...? Calling something "sinful" does not have anything to do with what the Bible says about Gods feelings toward people. If that was the case, he would hate everyone. The whole point of Christianity is that he loves everyone despite our many sins... Excuse the rant.

I am seriously not trying to give a sermon though. I actually started writing that with a point in mind that was relevant to the thread topic. I believe what I stated above, yet a lot of what I write is secular in nature. Some of what I write makes my beliefs obvious, other things have never even made anyone wonder. That being said, how can anyone even question my credibility if they are unable to even guess at what I believe based on my writing? I don't even have to try to separate most of it, the topic I am writing about and the things I believe simply do not relate in any way a lot of the time.

16. Rydia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It would depend on how relevant their beliefs are to whatever they are writing about and whether they have the credentials and chops to back up whatever they profess to be an expert about.

My sister is real into paranormal stuff and I think it's mostly a bunch of hooey, but if she were to write a book on say animal welfare, I'd find her credible because I know the background, education and experience she has in the field....unless the book had a bunch of stuff about bigfoot and doggie ghosts or something in it :wink:

17. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would also think it depends.

If your belief has nothing to do with the book, then sure, it is credible. Though, if your belief comes in direct contraction with book you've written or you talk about it in your book with no proof whatsoever, then yes, it does.

As for your example, I don't think it affects their credibility.