1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've wondered if sexual orientation could be lack of connection to a gendered parent

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Closet Shut, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Closet Shut

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know my title is stupid, & what I'm about to ask is ..& I'm likely wrong I'm sure, maybe I'm just speaking for myself. I ask the question because the thought has entered my head as of recently, I've had same-sex feelings since I was in my single digits, maybe not strong strong at those ages, but they were getting there gradually. The media sometimes speculates about young men being gay because they weren't close to their fathers, or for women, not being close to their mothers. But I wonder if maybe there might be a bit of truth to that, but the opposite ..men not being close enough to their moms, the same with women not being close to their dads, I sometimes think that because I had a bit of a rocky relationship with my mom growing up, that it might have influenced my attraction without me being aware, I know people will say it's silly ..but it's just an idea I'm throwing around, it's hard sometimes to not want to speculate.

2. LooseMoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: I've wondered if sexual orientation could be lack of connection to a gendered par

No.

The guy in this video talks about how he argued against his position: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDipt48sVyo

Being gay is blamed alternatively on 'too distant fathers' or ' too molly-coddling mothers' or 'distant mothers', or 'inappropriately close relationships with fathers' etc.
    It goes on and on. Well- which one is it?

Parents love us, or damage us, and shape us in various emotional ways, but they cannot affect the basic biological sexual responses.

3. Fighter694

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Re: I've wondered if sexual orientation could be lack of connection to a gendered par

The theory is an over involved mom or a distant father can have a role in a child being gay! But I think it's flawed and that the reason why the father becomes distant is because many gay guys are gender non confirming as children and probably the father can't connect with the child because he isn't typically masculine! Moreover some fathers expect the child to do masculine things and if the child isnt interested he would be bad it and this would irritate or anger the dad coz the child wouldn't get any better after many forced attempts at making him better! In this process there is screaming and tension between the father and son causing the relationship to become strained ! Eventually making the father distant ! But they also include those dads who abandoned or split away from the family! What they mean in this context is that the growing child doesn't have a male example to live by and develop accordingly! Now this stems from the wrong and homophobic thought that homosexuality is caused because of a lack of masculinity! Now would you give too much weightage to such a homophobic theory? Besides you speak of a strained relationship with your mom? It's not even in the preview of such theories ! I don't know much about your status of internal peace with your sexuality ! But the tone of your question indicates some amount of unresolved internalized homophobia! Please work on it :slight_smile:

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

The simplest refutation of this theory is to look at children raised in African-American households. An astounding percentage (above 50%) of black kids are raised by single female parents. If this theory had any validity, then there would be a phenomenally large percentage of black men who are gay, way more than white men. And there isn't any difference. If anything, there are more gay white men than black men after adjusting for their relative proportions in society.

5. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Growing up, I was closer to my Mother and my sister (Fraternal Twin) was closer to my Father. Even today I go to my Mother for advice and stuff. She's the first person I turn to talk to. On the other hand, even today my Sister calls my Dad up for everything.

I dunno if this means anything, My sister is straight while I'm gay.

#5 Ram90, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  6. Warkupo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

I'm not close with either parent or any of my siblings, nor do I have any parental figure I look up to. :s

7. Kinky

Kinky Guest

The idea that my sexuality is caused by some deep-seated psychology issues with my dad is frankly insulting.

8. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people

Don't you think that's racist? Wouldn't it be more politically correct if that study hadn't been released?

But to its credit, I grew up living with my Mom and seeing my Dad every other weekend and one weekday a week and I turned out gay (as much as I hate the term 'gay' I'll use it for continuity's sake.).

9. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

I have a nice relationship with my father, who's always been present. So this isn't my case at all.

There are definitely gay men who have issues with their fathers, but there are also a lot of straight guys who have them as well. I see no relation.

10. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people

How is that racist? If it is true that over 50% of African-American children grow up in single parent households how can that be racist? Is reality that doesn't conform to some people's ideals racist? Why should the reality be hidden if we don't like the reality?

---------- Post added 29th Jan 2016 at 01:11 AM ----------

There is no credible scientific evidence to support idea that parental relationships actually affect sexual orientation. Anecdotal evidence is not a reliable indicator of anything.

11. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family

If science was always PC we wouldn't ever acheive anything... e.g. Darwin's theory of evolution was non-PC; it was offensive to people's religious beleifs. There's nothing racist about investigating actual facts unless you just wanna view it that way.

12. Closet Shut

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

It was never my intention to be insulting, I was just asking a question ..yes I know it's sensitive, but isn't this a place where people who are struggling or confused can be free to ask a question? & I don't think I have any internalized homophobia I don't understand why people keep throwing that word around, I'm not scared of homosexuality or my orientation.

---------- Post added 29th Jan 2016 at 08:00 PM ----------

I actually meant relationship with the mother, for example girls with their dad's & guys wit their mom's.

13. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

Oh, sorry.

Well, in this case, I know more gay guys with problems with their dads than with their moms. So I still think lack of connection has no relation to sexual orientation.

14. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people

I understand what you mean. I have a better relationship with my mom, I'm significantly closer to her than to my dad. That theory doesn't sound completely absurd to me, but I doubt that it's real tbh. Exactly because it doesn't always apply. Like most people said, not everyone with a bad/distant relationship with the parent of the opposite sex turns out to be gay, nor does every gay person has a bad relationship with the parent of the opposite sex. But still, I've thought about that possibility before. Probably because of my own experience, idk ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

15. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

It's not racist. On the contrary, it's disingenuous to pretend that there aren't issues and differences in how people think about race, class, culture, sex, privilege, and other factors. Pretending to be "color blind" is racist because society isn't color blind. It's when we're afraid of talking about these uncomfortable things that we get into trouble.

16. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people

My good buddy is black, does that mean he likes fried chicken and watermelon because statistically speaking black people like tasty deep fried food and fresh fruits more than other people? I'm just saying, buying into stereotypes, even if they're "scientifically proven" is a little rude.

17. Kinky

Kinky Guest

You misunderstood my intention. I wasn't criticizing you nor telling what not to ask or even implying you have internalized homophobia. I merely express my opinion on the idea itself without attaching it to any one specifically.
    I hope this clear up.

#17 Kinky, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  18. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

You're an odd person, aren't you? There are more black children in single-mother households. This isn't even necessarily a bad thing - I'm the product of a single mother myself. It's just the way it is. What do you achieve by pretending it isn't true?

#18 imnotreallysure, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  19. Closet Shut

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

My mistake, I actually in addition to you quoted another person who mentioned internalized homophobia, I didn't expect it to attach you to the message, that was my error.

20. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

Personally, I was never as close to my father as I was my mother, and yet, here I am.