1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When to stop texting??!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by deadbluebells, Jan 28, 2016.

1. deadbluebells

I don't understand text etiquette, because I never know for sure if someone is bored? I get that maybe they'll start replying in short texts, but really it doesn't take long to send a normal length text and so I have no idea if they're just trying not to be rude. If someone is replying with a couple of short-ish messages to every message I send, how can I have any idea? do I just continue until they stop reply or make it clear they're bored?

for this reason I tend not to initiate text conversations. If someone messages me first, I know they want to talk to some extent... is there a general rule? what do normal people do?

(I guess my reason for asking this is that I have a crush on a friend of mine and want to appear 'normal' to her, rather than overly clingy)

thanks.

2. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That's a tricky subject, because different people have different text etiquette. Some just naturally take longer to respond, regarless of what they think of you. Others simply don't like to be the active part in the text.

But I think that it's ok, if you're really interested in someone else, to initiate more text conversations than them. A good proportion, in my opinion, would be 2;1 or even 3;1(you start conversations 3 times more than them). More than that seems a bit desperate, I think.

If you're having almost daily conversations, one way to know if they value you would to stop texting for 2-3 days and see if they text. If not, then probably they're not that interested.

These are just general suggestions though and remember that each person reacts differently

3. deadbluebells

The problem isn't so much knowing when to initiate as knowing when to end conversations... if it's not a serious discussion, instead just banter, then there's no 'conclusion' as such and it could technically go on forever... I don't want to just stop replying, because then I seem rude, but at the same time I worry that the other person is just continuing out of politeness.

Also, I don't want this girl to know I like her. I just want to get to know her better as a friend but because I like her im overanalysing and can't remember what's normal anymore.

Fuck, life is complicated :/

4. Kinky

Kinky Guest

"Mum's nagging, gtg"
    My boyfriend pulls that one on me every time. I used to set a time limit of 30 mins, then I willingly cut off the communication. It was all very methodical. Sometimes, when the conversation felt like it was going nowhere, I cut it off.
    Not without a "hit you later, babe" :wink:

5. Spiderstalker

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    on what platform is this? is known that if on Facebook/maybe general text apps too, when you engage a convo with someone and all they do is saying ''lol'' or oh okay :eek: is most likely they are responding out of compromise and don't really care to talk, the more unbiased ones will go to leave it on ''seen'' and not reply anything at all because they don't feel the compromise neither, in my case i used to text Friends to check on them daily, but nowadays i only reply a message if i get one first hand, if not i don't bother, depends on how much you know the person too i guess

6. Lone Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    text etiquette? As if that exists. But if it does, I suck at it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

To me conversations in text messages never really end, unless one clearly says "I'll text you later", or "I got to go." Something of that nature.

I think you're just over thinking it. I don't think too much of it when someone doesn't respond back, sometimes no response is needed. Just don't leave a person hanging is all I'm saying. But when you know someone well, you'll know how they text and how they work, because everyone has different texting habits.

But yeah if you're the one always initiating the conversation, you'll soon realize they're not interested, because they'll never text you back..