1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe in an afterlife?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by armydude, Jan 28, 2016.

1. armydude

armydude Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's not something i think about much. To be honest, i am a pretty stoic person and death isnt one of my fears. However, my relatives have essentially been dying off in droves lately, so my facebook is flooded with constant discussion of people "passing on".

"So and so is reunited with grandma in heaven", "they're in a better place", etc etc...we all hear this when people die, and theres nothing wrong with it. That belief is comfort for most folks and a way to deal with grief/loss.

Well, it made me lay here and think about the topic for awhile. And i came to the conclusion that i highly doubt any kind of heaven exists. Or Hell for that matter.

Do you think people invented the concept of an afterlife simply to make themselves feel better? Or is it legitmate.

Please either tell me why im an idiot or compliment my astute observation.

2. Southern Stoic

Lurking on the dark underbelly of the web
    I am religious (not Christian but none the less) but I am also agnostic so with that being said...
    I do believe in 'the Afterlife' but my views are very similar to the Summerlands theory popular with Theosophists. I'm not sure why the concept was invented for certain, there's a lot of possibilities.
    I can only speak for myself. I believe in it simply because it coincides with my spirituality and I feel (based on research I've done) that it exists. I'm also pretty accepting of the fact that I could be entirely wrong and my consciousness could simply cease after my passing and if that is the case...oh well. I wouldn't care since I wouldn't be aware.
    No big. I see no point worrying over things I can not control.

3. Lone Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    People can come up with many reasons as to why they believe the afterlife exists, similarly to the reasons on why you think there isn't one. Does it make you happy or does it give you peace of mind believing there isn't one? lol

I feel like the afterlife kind of falls under the religion department, so I think depending on your religion, it's something you just believe or don't. And yes I do think some people like to think of an afterlife to feel like life doesn't just end after one dies.

But today one can't prove in an afterlife, so I feel like it could never technically be a legitimate possibility.

But hell, what do I know.

4. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't. I feel like it's a comfort tactic, or a scare tactic in some cases.

People don't want to be gone when they're dead, they don't want their families and friends to either. I feel like that's a big reason so many people are still religious even with modern science around.

5. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have always thought of 'Afterlife' as lip service, we as humans crave immortality, we are afraid of death, and oblivion.
    'Afterlife' is just something people whip up as they deny their own mortality (which in my opinion is a symptom of mortality). It is someplace where 'You will live forever, there will be angels singing, heaps of unending food, rivers of wine etc etc....*'
    I don't believe in an afterlife. Never will.

*Terms and conditions apply.
    Only if you do *insert something*, follow *again something* and..... will you be sent to heaven, or your sould shall burn in the flames of hell forever!...... Just kidding.
    Seriously don't kill me.

#5 mychemromance99, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  6. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    O yes I do! It's fun to think that there's a better life after this shitty one!

7. Ashley2103

I don't know...

8. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I have no fear of death so I don't need to.

9. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I don't believe in an afterlife, I don't see any reason to believe in one. =]

Seeing your grandma again is nice, but my grandma might want to see her grandma, who might want to see her grandma and so on.. I'd be there with all kinds of people I don't know at all. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I don't.

And I think that is one of the beautiful things in life. It is unique, it is precious, it is temporary. We need to make the most of our time, because we don't have the eternity. We have a limited amount of the precious resource called time, and we need to be wise on how to spend it.

11. Drednaught

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. I always try to hold my beliefs as close to reality as possible rather than intuition, and since we have no data on the possibility of an afterlife in the universe, (or how it could even work) I therefore withhold any judgement on the matter. If sufficient data or evidence were to be acquired however, I would adjust my beliefs accordingly. Until then, I will continue to remain curious as always.

12. Joelouis

I would like to believe in the traditional afterlife theory, as we were taught in school, but I don't. I can see that it give many people comfort to believe in heaven (in whatever guise), and if that helps them, then that's absolutely fine.

I lost my Mum back in September and have thought about her every single day since. I can hear her voice as clearly as if she were still here. I want her to still be around somewhere, and sometimes it feels like she is in another room without a door for me to enter.
    But my head tells me she's gone, and that's the hardest thing to accept.

If I were offered a million pounds or one last day with my Mum, I'd have the latter without question.

13. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, I do. I like to think that so long as you believe in something then everything isn't all for nothing.

#13 Benway, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  14. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not at all. I find that very liberating.

15. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think there is a continuation of sorts beyond this life, but I don't have any grand ideas about it. I certainly wouldn't waste my time on earth in the expectation of entering some sort of paradise afterwards. One life - live it!

16. ecallan

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I believe in an afterlife. I had a great person put to me this way. She told me heaven would be great place to unite with those you loved and wanted to see again and no matter how many times someone said "That' person's going to hell' etc etc. You'll see them if you want to see them. I think the after life is personal, not necessarily a general thing. For me, as an example. Heaven would be reuniting with my family or husband and certain friends after I die. It would be hell if I never saw them again if I died. I'm a Christian so I believe in Jesus and all that afterlife stuff. So no matter how many times my family or someone else tells me "That person isn't saved." I know they are because they're going to be with me in heaven. That can apply to anyone no matter what spirituality or belief system you follow, the afterlife is a personal thing.

#16 ecallan, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  17. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I personally think there is, but that's pretty much the only ''spiritual'' belief I hold.

I just think that since humans (and other animals) are made of atoms and matter, that is gonna be reused at some point. Well, in other words, I believe in some kind of reincarnation.

18. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't believe in it. There might have been a lot of stuff such as 'Child meets God after his death!' and a Buddhist book which illustrates hell, but I don't. The concept of death is interesting, but a mystery never to be unravelled...

19. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. I much prefer the idea of just being dead and buried, and that's it.

20. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I kind of wish there was one.