1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird question about voting

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Benway, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, this is going to sound stupid, but as someone who's only really ever voted in local elections, I was wondering:

Is there a rule against going to the voting booth wearing a t-shirt supporting the presidential candidate you're voting for? Is that... like, not allowed? Like how if you tell anyone what you wish for when you blow out the candle on your birthday cake it won't come true-- that kind of thing?

Like say someone is voting for Hillary, can they wear a "Hillary 2016" t-shirt at wherever it is they go to cast their vote? Or is that frowned upon? Typically I believe that lizard people are in charge of the presidential elections so I've only ever really participated in local ones (mayors, judges... etc) but I have a candidate I truly support this year and I bought on of their shirts displaying that I support them for president in 2016 but I have no idea if wearing it to the polls is some sort of political no-no.

Any information on this... odd question would be appreciated.

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In the UK, I don't think it's allowed inside the booth to talk about who you're voting for, but you can go outside the voting place and outside your homes.

3. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sorry, I should clarify: I'm in the United States.

I didn't realize the general public voted in the UK.

#3 Benway, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sort of a strange sentiment. They have a queen, but yeah they have a democratic system as well.

It's not at all illegal or frowned upon. The "sanctity" of the voting booth is to protect the voter from intimidation or retaliation should people put pressure on them. But that is largely gone now, so feel free to show support for whomever you want.

5. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay, so then wearing my t-shirt would actually be a good way of not being pressured by the people handing out fliers outside the polls. Good to know.

As for the UK, I thought a Prime Minister was selected every so often, but only if one steps down or dies of old age and then the Queen or King or whoever picks a new one who has the choice to stay in power as long as they want.

6. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's quite amazing that you've gone 28 years believing that to be true. The Queen is a powerless figurehead. If public opinion turned against her, she'd be out of a job. The British public are the ones enabling the monarchy to exist.

#6 imnotreallysure, Jan 29, 2016
  7. Mikelhpc228

YES, in Mass there are strict rules against it & the police enforce it. I was told by the police officer to remove a campaign button from my jacket in the polling station.

8. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it would be illegal. It should be legal because it should be protected by the 1st amendment.

That being said, there are laws in different states that restrict political campaigning and solicitation near polling places to reduce voter intimidation. These laws can vary from state ti state, and can be vague. The people overseeing a particular polling place probably aren't experts in the law, and may be unsure what to do/not to do about political paraphernalia, so there's a change they will deny your right to free speech.

That being said, CNN reports that what you wear may get you thrown out of a polling place. According to the article, "Virginia's State Board of Elections has banned campaign clothing and other paraphernalia from inside all polling places on Election Day. In the past, it had been done only sporadically."

#8 BobObob, Jan 29, 2016
  9. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I didn't realize Massachusetts was policed by Nazis. You know what? I'm gonna risk it, I live in Pennsylvania, which is a bass-ackwards state as it is, so if some pig tells me I can't wear it, I'll tell him I'm exercising my First Amendment rights and that I'll be in and out as soon as I vote.

10. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That would depend on the state electioneering laws. I know in Missouri you can't have any visible political campaign support or hand any literature to voters in that range of 25 feet from the entrance of the polling precinct.

11. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh, okay, see, they do that exactly outside the place I vote, so I guess I'm good to go. I mean, people have stood on street corners on presidential election days in my state with massive signs shouting at traffic, telling them who to vote for.

12. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In Michigan, I know it is illegal to wear any type of shirt supporting politicians within 40 feet of the door of the polling place.

13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The whole point of limiting campaign material near polling stations is so that people don't feel outnumbered or intimidated by political opponents.

I wouldn't wear anything campaign-related while voting if I were you, or at least I'd wear something over the campaign shirt while in the vicinity of the polling station. It is certainly not Nazism and the police involved are definitely not 'pigs'. Your rights to free speech and political communication aren't being stifled, it's just strictly enforcing the idea of a safe zone and a secret ballot to protect voters.

14. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here in Michigan, even a car with a political bumper sticker has to be parked 100 feet from the polling place entrance. I read about a woman whose family wore nothing but red in support of Mitt Romney, and the poll workers wanted to send them home to change as it was obvious what they were doing, but because they had their coats closed and their logo T-shirts were covered, they weren't breaking any laws.

I'm going to be a pollworker this year, and while they have political party quotas to ensure fairness, they also strictly prohibit you from wearing anything that shows your party affiliation.