1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chipotle? Eating cats and dogs is gross

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wannahavechange, Jan 29, 2016.

1. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I copied and pasted from my fb, because I saw a post on this and all the less than salty comments...

Wow.. people are saying this is gross and crap but yet as humans we eat cows, deer, pigs, chicken, and gator.... but aren't all those I just mentioned animals too? So why does it matter if it's a cat or dog? I need an honest answer. Someone said this awhile back and I agree. They said : dogs and cats intelligence is based off of how well they follow orders and i think that's why so mamy people get offended when someone says they would be willing to eat a cat or dog Just because they follow orders doesn't mean they're excluded from being eaten.
    We eat pigs feet and the intestines ( I don't and never will.. I don't like chitlins or pigsfeet) yet eating a cat or dog is messed up?

I'd love to hear your guys thoughts on this. Would you eat a cat or dog? I would. (!)(!)(!)

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't eat a dog. Its probably just social conditioning and the fact that I've had a pet dog and no pet pigs :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. guitar

Let me start by prefacing I really don't care if someone is vegetarian or vegan or doesn't like eating meat because of the taste, intestinal reasons, other health reasons, or a moral objection with it. I've gone through vegetarian phases, and have friends who are.

With that said, biologically speaking, humans are predisposed to eat meat. Our wisdom teeth are a byproduct of evolution when we had bigger mouths and needed those teeth for chewing meat and flesh. There's a reason people salivate when we smell steak or bacon.

I like cats and dogs as pets and animals, so I don't eat them. But it seems we don't eat them because we've domesticated them, and as pet owners we've developed an emotional bond with our pets. At a basic argumentative level, meat should be meat (outside of cannibalism, which is another topic altogether), so it should - at least in theory - be somewhat acceptable to eat them. However, the social norm is that we've deemed these animals beyond eating and it becomes a social taboo to do so.

**DO NOT TAKE THIS AN ENDORSEMENT TO EAT SAID ANIMALS. I'M SIMPLY TRYING TO EXPLAIN - FROM MY PERSPECTIVE - WHAT THE REASONING IS FOR THE QUESTION THE ORIGINAL POSTER IS ASKING. I'VE NEVER TRIED CAT OR DOG AND HAVE NO INTENTION TO DO**

#3 guitar, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  4. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for answering you guyscats :-D. I think you're right. It's the social norm to grow attached and to see it as taboo when speaking of eating dogs or cats. We can also grow emotionally attached to cats and dogs.

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't eat mammals, so I obviously wouldn't eat either animal.

I don't think it's all too hypocritical for people from cultures in which dogs and cats aren't eaten to dislike the idea. It would be hypocritical to state that eating cats and dogs is objectively wrong if you eat meat, but I think fewer people do that than merely say they wouldn't be willing to eat those animals because of the cultural role dogs and cats play in their own countries. And that's totally reasonable.

But it so happens that in a lot of the countries where dogs and cats are eaten (I don't actually know much about cat consumption so I won't comment on that) have far laxer regulations on meat production than Western countries. East Asian dog markets can be brutal, many of the dogs are stolen pets and there is little regulation to prevent cruel treatment of the dogs being slaughtered. Those reasons for refusing to eat dog meat with dubious sources are very understandable, even for those who eat meat and wouldn't otherwise have a problem with eating dogs.

6. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We have a tendency to anthropomorphize dogs and cats in the West. Or "imbue them with a personality," if you will. That'd be why.

But yes, in reality there isn't any difference.

7. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like Aussie, I also don't eat animals, so I wouldn't.

But pigs are also highly intelligent; at least as much so as dogs are, in my experience growing up in the country. The kids book, 'Charlotte's Webb' was in good measure inspired by this.

I think it boils down to social norms: If I did eat meat, I could not eat a dog or cat because I've had so many fond attachments to them as pets.

Also, I am a Husky! Woof! So if I ate dogs, it'd be like cannibalism. :slight_smile:

#7 HuskyPup, Jan 29, 2016
  8. Closet Shut

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You said that you copied & pasted it, but I don't see a link ..unless there wasn't one, anyways, I haven't been to Chipotle ..Yet & not sure now if I still would, but I don't disagree, we eat game meat, chicken, cow etc. So house pets are no different, but I can understand the dislike people have over the thought of eating a house-pet, since like someone said above me, we treat them as equals, a lot like our own children or family, but it's not the same everywhere in other cultures. It's funny because we animate these animals a lot, like Pigs, Goats, Cows etc, & we still eat them, In my case I really wish I could be a vegetarian ..because then I could rightfully be upset, but then that'd just make me a hypocrite. The closest I've come to trying to be veggie, is abstaining from pork, & the only reason I did that is because I watched the movie Babe & fell in love with that cute little piggie, couldn't imagine eating them again after that, but for some reason I can't let go of my beef or chicken sadly. & also Pigs I think are closer to humans in anatomy, along with intelligence.

9. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I copied and pasted what I typed from my fb account because I'm too lazy to retype it...

---------- Post added 29th Jan 2016 at 06:02 PM ----------

10. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ugh. I feel sick just thinking about this topic. I don't really want to go into it since it's a difficult subject for me to face.

But, I know I should at least attempt to bring myself to answer it, dammit and my day was going so well and then THIS had to be brought up.

It really baffles me how people can think like this, it really does. How can people be so ungrateful? I guess I should argue my case then. Here goes...

Dogs: There's this kid in our class who has recently gone blind, and there's nothing that can be done to fix it- and there was nothing that could've been done. He has it pretty hard, he's only gone blind recently so he can't read braille, and it's not possible for him to have learnt it before his exams- so he can't pass either. They have no other option for visually-impaired students other than braille copies- even then "look at the diagram" sort of questions are certainly a problem. He struggles to navigate by himself- sure he has a stick to help him, but he often finds himself bumping into things or even getting into dangerous situations because of it. Sure he gets assistance from others, but it isn't enough. He wants to be able to function on his own, and not have to bump into things and get laughed at. For all intents and measures, getting a guide dog seems to be his only option. He is on a list to get one soon- which will hopefully make his journey a lot more safer.

Guide dogs are amazing, and for many having one gives them a sense of independence and freedom that was usually lacking in their lives before.

Then there's search and rescue dogs, who help save people's lives. And dogs working in the crime industry, barking out bombs, sniffing out drugs, finding and tracking someone's scent.

Then there's the medical sector, where dogs can be trained to literally SNIFF OUT CANCER! Dogs are usually quite good at telling when someone is ill, and in some cases dog owners have claimed that if it wasn't for their dog then they wouldn't have got themselves checked out and would've had a stroke and died. So yeah. Dogs can be freaking awesome. I think it'd be plain disrespectful to such an animal considering how much they contribute to society to eat them. No,just no.

Cats: I actually have a cat, so such ideas disturb me. I love cats, and I can certainly relate to them in certain ways. Don't worry, I'm not one of those weirdos who identifies as a cat or something like that. :lol:

If you don't know already, I can be.... fairly obsessive about things. Some of my interests involve learning about cats, cat-breeds, dogs, dog breeds, cat behaviour, cat genetics ect. I don't know why, but this sort of stuff just intrigues me.

I like this idea of cats being independent and mysterious, it just makes me like them more. Of course, not all cats are like this but still.

I think cats play an important role in history, and in turn society. So for this, we're going to need to go back to ancient Egypt. The people living there at the time had a problem. Rats were being attracted to the village's food sources. And if you've ever heard the phrase "breeding like rats" there is a definite truth to that saying. Rats tend to have large families, and don't move out of their individual colonies. So when you've got one rat, you've got them all to contend with. Fortunately (for the people, not the rats) all these rats were attracting these strange creatures (Cats) that mainly kept to themselves and avoided the village inhabitants.

However, over time the cats got more used to them and became more involved in the people's lives. It was a sweet deal, the cats would kill the rodents so less rodents would be in the equation. Less rodents= less danger to food supply, less danger to food supply= More food so better quality of life.

Sure, they could've eaten the cats- but that would've only been useful as a short term solution. So it was more affective keeping the cats around to fend of the rats. And the people could of eaten the rats, but there would've been far too many for that to have made any difference- they would've been massively out numbed and not capable of dealing with controlling the rat population single-handedly. Not without help from the cats.

Thus, domestication happened. It is said that for a while Pharaohs/High status people were the only ones allowed to own cats. The cats were worshipped as the Ancient Egyptians believed that they symbolised some of their Gods- others believed they were the walking embodiments of fellow Egyptian Gods. Overtime however, this was lifted and more "common" folk were allowed to own cats.

I think to eat a cat is to be disrespectful of history, and disrespectful to what they have done for society. Same goes for dogs.

Ok...so what about meat consumption? You ask, with a smirk. Well, buckle up because you might be here for a while! Let's face it, the food chain is a natural, and unavoidable part of life. Many go vegetarian or even vegan because of its...harshness.

Well, like it or not, it is a necessary evil. Now let's get all hypothetical here. Say we live in a "perfect world" where no one eats meat what so ever. Great huh? Well... not exactly. The main concern here would be resources. The food chain is a very unstable and easy breakable thing, one slight change can affect everything. The "butterfly effect" springs to mind here. So if we stopped eating meat all together, there would be a massive peak in animals- and due to this peak, there would be more of a strain on resources. Which would lead to rather lacking plant resources (such as fruit, grass ect.) (remember, one change can affect a ton of surrounding/connected species).

Which would lead to a situation where we would have to start killing off animals to even have a shot at gaining a sustainable amount of plant-based produce- otherwise we, as a species, would not be able to prosper and survive.

However, as it stands- we,as a nation, consume too much meat on a whole. Leaving some farmers struggling to keep up with growing demands. I think that cutting down on the amount of meat we eat, rather than cancelling it out entirely, is the way to go. Still, vegetarians and vegans help by not putting more strain on this already unstable system. Where as, if the vegetarians and vegans of the world were to suddenly start eating meat, then that would just make things more unstable due to even more demand.

So... yeah. In conclusion the world is beautifully chaotic and unstable, yet doomed. Food for thought anyway... all the pun intended.

#10 Canterpiece, Jan 29, 2016
  11. nowewillnot

nowewillnot Guest

chipotle serves dogs and cats now

12. Kinky

Kinky Guest

I'm going to skim through all the moral debates because I've eaten dogs before, many times in fact. They are simply delicious.
    There, isn't this easy? Any objection?

#12 Kinky, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  13. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't see the difference between eating different sorts of animal. I think it's rather odd that some animals get slaughtered and eaten all the time whereas others are treated as pets, and it would be weird or disgusting to eat them.

I know that in the past we were designed to kill and eat animals. Absolutely true, we had to back then. But nowadays, there is no need to: there are much more ethical ways to get our nutrition. Having been a vegetarian all my life, I see (or smell) meat and can't think of it as food, and the idea of eating it just makes me gag. I suppose most meat eaters would see a cat or dog and feel the same.

14. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

---------- Post added 30th Jan 2016 at 06:14 AM ----------

Years! it's not like I'm saying I'd look at dogs on leashes and go: yummy cat soup..

I volunteer at a wild life rescue coalition and when I look at the bulls I don't go:Fuck... now I really want a Burger XD.
    however if it was packaged or served in a fancy restaurant then i would eat a cat or dog .. this better bring me one of those fancy drinks too with the tiny umbrellas sticking out lmao.

15. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've never eaten dogs or cats but that's because the opportunity never came. I could try it out someday.

Anyway, I have a lovely dog and, obviously, I don't wanna eat her. But that's the difference. She's my dog and I have an emotional connection with her. That wouldn't be the case with a fried dog on my plate.

16. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know how you feel. I have a dog who died. It's not like I'd just cook him for breakfeast.

Grandma: this is delicious.. is it a new type of scrambler
    Me: I ran out of ingredients so I used ali
    Grandma: choking and faints.

It's like if you work for a living at a horse and cow ranch and then you go home and est a Burger. You don't think of the ones you work with as food but.....

17. GayPugs

I'm vegetarian (omg I'm a stereotype 0.0) so I wouldn't eat any of this stuff. But, if I were a meat-eater, it's all the same. I'd eat my pug, Charles, even though I'm vegetarian! He's so damn juicy!!! Literally. I would eat a pug. A PUG. I would also eat a cat. Or a gerbil. Maybe even a rabbit! I would definitely eat a dog, though. Charles, wanna help mommy with...dinner? MWAHAHAHA!

18. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it was safe, I'd try dog meat and cat meat! And I'd eat it again if I find it tasty

People are disturbed by the idea because:
    *they're reminded of their pets
    *they don't want to cause suffering nor encourage suffering
    *they're worried about being considered "evil"

I was thinking about this kind of stuff recently after taking "Moral Foundations Test" on teh internet

19. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If I had a pet pig, I'd give him bacon treats.

#19 Benway, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  20. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This comment are my day