1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A LGBT Teacher

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ninetales, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Ninetales

Out Status:
    Some people
    I am working towards becoming a high school teacher. I am in my last semester before I become certified. I would like to be able to discuss sexuality with my students and be able to share that I am pansexual. Recently though I have been questioning my gender identity, and I have been thinking that nI maybe genderfluid. I am sure I know the answer to this, but how would you all feel if you had a genderfluid teaching in school? How do you think your parents would react to a genderfluid teacher?:smilewave

2. Distant Echo

Personally I wouldn't care but there are parents who will. I'm probably not the average parent.
    I'm also not sure what Te situation is with US schools about discussing this sort of thing with students....perhaps some research?
    But do nothing until you are sure who you are...speaking out then revising later would be very bad...get yourself sorted out before you say anything.

3. TempUsername3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    From my own experience. My parents never really cared what I was taught/learned as long as my report card had good scores.

My parents sent me to a Christian private school that taught bible teachings that were different to what my parents believed because it just happened to be a better school than the one on my street.

If you're a good teacher, you're gonna have students that will want to be in your class. At the end of the day its about the lives you change. The students you inspire. The people you help.

Just make sure your sharing is relevant to the topic. Don't go teaching Pythagoras's Theorem and throw in a side note about your sexuality. Also, maybe discuss it with the principal just so there are no surprises when a parent comes yelling.

4. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Obviously the answers you're going to get here are going to be heavily biased. Probably the best way to find out how well recieved you will be in regards to either sexuality or gender identity by your students and their parents will be to talk to the school and school board where you'll end up working. In any case I'd advise talking with them first if you do want to come out/be open in school, and obviously only do that if you are safe/protected/comfortable in that district. (I don't know what the rules are like for your state re: LGBT job protections.)

As for ways of presenting it at school, if your plan is to be open and out from the beginning, than just do it as part of first day intros. Like "hi I'm Mr./Ms./Mx. Ninetails, I'll be teaching [insert subject here]. I'm 24, pansexual, and genderfluid. Any questions?" and be done with it. I think the other good way of doing it, is not 'coming out' but answering honestly if/when students ask and not lieing or avoiding it (i.e. talking about summer vacation and mentioning Pride, etc.).

Mostly just make sure your principal is on board. They're going to be the person that will make or break your experiences. If they aren't in your corner, things could be any where from uncomfortable to bad. :/

Good luck and I hope you enjoy teaching!

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ask me in a year when I get tenure... I'll have more perspective.

6. Honestly in my school, we care more about our grades given by genderfluid teachers than the teachers themselves. Although I live in California, my neighborhood is mostly Asian immigrants, most of which don't take too kindly to LGBT teachers teaching in the classroom.

However, students are smart enough to not talk about this with our parents, knowing they'd be outraged. It really does depend on the school.

7. armydude

armydude Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Unless you are teaching sex ed, you really shouldnt be discussing sexuality with them at all. Your personal life is none of their business. Telling them this stuff seems highly irrelevant to whatever class you teach, and somewhat selfish or inappropriate.

8. ConverseCody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree with people's previous comments, discuss it with the headmaster first. As for telling your students, I would just randomly bring it up in conversation eg. pride, boyfriend/girlfriend :slight_smile:

9. Warkupo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I also think this depends on what subject you're teaching. If it's way off what you're going to be teaching, I don't think it should matter or be brought up at all. I'm not saying to hide or lie about your identity, just no reason to really talk about it with your students for the sake of putting it out there. If a student was possibly having gender identity issues and was having problems or being bullied, then maybe it would be ok to talk about it then.