1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bringing my boyfriend to my university ball

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ConverseCody, Jan 31, 2016.

1. ConverseCody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is my final year of university and I will be graduating in July (hopefully). We have a geography ball in March and I was hoping to bring my boyfriend.

I'm fairly open about my sexuality at uni. I have my boyfriend and I set as 'in a relationship' on social media. However, I'm kinda anxious as everyone on my course will be there and all of my lecturers. I don't imagine any of them would be too homophobic but I have a tendency to clam up a little when I'm coming out to new people. My boyfriend is also very comfortable in who he is and part of me is worrying that he may ask me up for a dance.

I know this all sounds like I'm worrying about nothing but I really want to prove to myself that I can do this. Does anyone have any tips on how I could control my anxiety for the evening and just have a good time?

2. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can see where you are coming from. But on the other hand i wouldn't really worry about it. Who really cares what narrow minded homophobes think of you. You are who you are and no one else can change that. Likewise i doubt there would be anyone who is homophobic there, are there people who have shown signs of homophobia beforehand? You say you are in your final year at uni so if someone is homophobic, i'm sure they would of shown their "true colours" by now. Anyway best of luck and in my opinion go for it and have a good time.

3. Warkupo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, just think about how jealous I am because this all sounds unbelievably awedorable. I wish I got to experience something like that. I would focus on getting to be there with the person you love and just enjoy the moment! If you have friends with you as well, then really make it a party. It's your last year. Whatever negative reactions people may have is fleeting. Worst case, you have the person that matters there to comfort/reassure you.

4. CharacterStudy

I can understand why you're anxious, but really, in the UK even 10 years ago, at a university, where the majority of people are educated and pretty forwarding thinking, this would have been ok. And geography - well there tend to be a lot of atheists, so no worry about religious rants.

Again, even going back 10-15 years when Section 28 was in place still, I went to parties and society parties where assumed 'straight' people brought along a same-sex date. Most people didn't bat an eyelid. At the very most there would be a mild eyebrow raise of surprise, then a oh, okay'. There was the very odd juvenile type who thought it was weird, but they were very much in the minority and even then it wasn't malicious.

Maybe try some relaxation techniques (you can find some on youtube), take deep breaths, smile and do it. You deserve to celebrate all your hard work with the people you love and so does your boyfriend.