1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice You Wanted/Needed

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by H20, Jan 31, 2016.

1. H20

H20

What is one piece of advice you wanted/needed to hear during your coming out process / self-accepting of your sexuality or identity, or during the roughest part of your life in general?

Mine:

What separates you from other doesn't make you any lesser and you will always be worth surviving every fight you must endure.

2. GayPugs

Here's mine:

Things will always get better. Then worse again. Then better. Then worse. Then better. So, just remember, life is not out to ruin your...um....life. And if things get to bad you can always just become a hermit with thousands of pugs and eat chocolate fudge all day while watching soap operas.

3. H20

H20

I LOVE this. Especially becoming a hermit with a thousand pugs and chocolate fudge. Heaven.

4. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mmm I have a lot. But one of them:

It takes time, always. During that time, you might feel lost, confused, anxious, like there's no destination, no answers, and you're not sure if you're ever going to get there. But with time and endurance things will change, guaranteed, you will find a way forward regardless of how impossible it seems, and you might come to realize that maybe nothing happened the way you expected it to, but it happened in a way that makes sense in hindsight. Despite how uncomfortable you are now, there is only one guarantee and that is to keep going, to do the best you can and take care of yourself the best you can even if (and sometimes especially if) you feel like you don't deserve it or it's easier to just give in. Give it time, and don't be afraid to seek out help if you need it.

5. joshvolby

mine:

WTF!:jawdrop: its ok! BUT WTF!:jawdrop:

#5 joshvolby, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  6. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had mine, actually. Knew it by heart. But it's always more difficult to take our own advice, and it would have really been nice to have someone around to say it.

"Everything will be okay in the end. It it's not okay, it's not the end." -John Lennon

7. YinYang

Here's mine:

A label does not define you. Yes, it's a pretty big part of your life, but it's not the only thing that you can let define you. You are much more complex than a silly word. You're full of emotions, thoughts, experiences. And a few words can't encompass all that. So don't worry so much about labels. Just be yourself.

8. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mine is pretty simple:

Trans people exist.

Had I known that earlier, I would have pieced everything together YEARS before I did.

9. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Don't hide in the closet, hide in the TARDIS, if you can get your hands on it, then spin the dial and take yourself to a future where [insert thing] is accepted, and you'll realize you have landed in the same space, same time. Why? Because it won't get accepted if you run away, you have to be the one to fight for the future you want, it doesn't create itself. Step outside.

TARDIS credits to BBC, Doctor Who.

#9 Secrets5, Feb 1, 2016
  10. Ouroboros

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Can we do lists? Are lists acceptable? I'm gonna take initiative here and do a list. Here are 10 pieces of advice I wish someone would have told me years ago:

1. Listen to yourself. I spent years fighting with myself about who I am and it made things so much more difficult Pay attention to your feelings.

2. Don't let your emotions rule you. Don't let panic, fear, anxiety, anger etc. Etc. direct your life.

3. Tell somebody. The first person you come out to is going to be difficult but once you start the process it really does get easier.

4. Accept that you have no control over how people react. Some may react wonderfully, some may react terribly the point is you have no control over how they react to you. How they react is on them not you

5. Be patient. Give yourself time. Give others time. Be paitient

6. Stand up for yourself and stand your ground. You're going to be challenged. Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself

7. Everbody's different. Don't worry about how long it takes you to come out. Don't worry about whether or not you "act gay". Don't worry about how long it takes you to realize.

8. It's okay if you think men are hot. I realize that this doesn't apply to everyone. Im just saying it would have been nice for me to hear.

9. The talk with your (insert homophobic member of your life here) is going to be difficult and painful. However if they're willing to be part of your life and you are willing to be part of their's then talking is almost always better than avoidance.

10. Coming out to your drunk friend hoping that they won't remember the next day doesn't always work.

Hope this helps someone.

#10 Ouroboros, Feb 1, 2016
  11. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I still need advice I think, maybe this thread will be useful for me :/