1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Respect

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by photoguy93, Jan 31, 2016.

1. photoguy93

Maybe you've seen this going around - but if not, thought it might bring a good discussion!

So, to sum it up..... a video was made about older gay men and the lack of respect they are often shown by younger gay guys. I'm not a fan of who made the video, but I thought it was a good topic and some of the comments are good, too. You can watch it... here!Here’s Why You Need To Respect Gay Men Of A Certain Age / Queerty

Personally, I do feel it depends on the person and the situation. I'm never going to be intentionally rude to anyone - but I will say that I tend to have more respect for the older couples or out/proud "eccentric/crazy Uncle" type. It's always important for us to realize how far we've come and what others have been through so that we can be here.

2. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I saw this one too!!! I don't understand why some people think it's alright to disrespect some older gay men since they've been around the block and have had experience so they make wonderful mentors and also letting a thing like age keep them back from dating. a lot of older gay men will say that they feel like they're too old to start dating or feel insecure about getting old. They feel like the only reason a younger man will date them is for security and money. Welps.. you older gents got it 50/50 I can honestly say that I won't becoming anyone's sugar daddy and if I like you I like you. I feel bad how some older gay men feel pressured to stop dating because of age.

3. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm, although I don't like the Youtuber as much, he does have a point. In a sense. Well, let me start off by saying that I'm a firm believer of respect being earned, not given. I don't think going to the club is the best place to show some respect in general. I do see what's he is trying to say. There's a GENERATION, of LGBT individuals that have been wiped off the face of the planet whether it would be due to aids, HIV, murder(for who they are as a person, it goes for any LGBT),suicide, drugs and the surviving ones are a constant reminder of what they have gone through during those times. If you're a young guy and you're saying that, you should consider these thoughts the next time you say it. Yes, some of them struggled and fought for these rights, just so you can live a better life and not have to go through the same struggles as they did. It's something to think about. What I don't agree is that kissing the ass of EVERY single older LGBT individuals you see. Some of them can be just as demanding and rude. I've met older guys that demanded respect and also told me to go somewhere else just because of the basis of my skin. It's a two way street for me. In my opinion, I think it touches more with courtesy rather then respect. Few people might not agree.

4. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I don't need to respect anyone i haven't judged to be deserving of my respect.