1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Birth Order

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MrSkittles, Feb 2, 2016.

1. MrSkittles

Today in Psychology we read an article about this theory that the order of birth affects behavior and personality. Do you think this is true? I personally do because I fit the description for youngest child

2. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, oldest children are supposed to be smartest :wink:
    In all honesty, most of the oldest kid things fit me.

3. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh it's pretty obvious to most people I'm the eldest, that's for sure. So, I guess I do believe it is true? Even tho I have no idea of what descriptions you are referring to.

4. MrSkittles

In the article it says the oldest take the lead and can be bossy. Don't remember the rest this thoguh

5. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeeeeeaaaah, that sounds like me alright.

6. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I fit a lot of the middle child. But I'm the oldest. So, I don't know

7. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Did it have anything to say about only children? The main stereotypical characteristic of only children I hear is that we're spoiled...and I'm no exception to that. :icon_wink

8. MrSkittles

Yeah, it had some stuff onnonly children. Not sure what it said though.

9. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've heard a lot of studies and they are all pretty true for me. My older brother is the more independent and have his life pretty much in track. My middle brother is so much different. He acts out more. I'm much more spoiled (admittedly) and don't feel too ready to become independent. I don't remember the exact traits that were associated with birth order, but I remember I've always found them consistent with me and my siblings. We're all so different, yet we come from the same place.

Another cool study that is statistically consistent and accepted by many researchers: The more male older brothers a man has, the more likely chance he has of being gay. I heard left handed and females are excluded from this rule. I'm right handed with two right handed older brothers, and many gay guys I know (the majority of them) have at least one older brother. The leader of last year's GSA at my school had 4!

10. guitar

11. Iowan1976

Oh, I believe a lot about the birth order. I am the oldest and I am very independent and set high goals for myself. My sister (The middle child) just kinda gets by in life. My brother, the youngest, is the peacemaker....very funny...very sarcastic.

12. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nah, I don't think it's accurate for my family at least.

I'm the youngest, but I'm the first one to move out, been living alone for almost two years, I'm the only one going to university etc. My siblings are several years older than me and they're far from ready to leave home.

I'm clearly the most independent of the three of us. My mom always says I should have been the oldest. Not sure what that would have changed.

#12 RainbowGreen, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  13. Jellal

I'm nowhere near the cool older sister I should be.
    My younger sister is way more outgoing and social, not to mention constantly being independent while I'm basically a shut-in.
    Also, she got to watch R-rated movies way earlier than I ever did.

Then again, she's into a bunch of dumb hipster music while I have aesthetically pure tastes.
    So I can't say I'm jealous of her.

14. AlamoCity

I'm the eldest (my only other sibling is my sister who is 10 years my junior). According to most people I'm considered the "smarter" one. But, I was the first (and only) boy and I turned out gay.

15. Murphy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like there's probably some truth to it, though theories like this can never really be universal.

I'm the oldest in my family. I'm definitely the bossy one, and my siblings often order "whatever (Murphy) is having" at restaurants.

Sometimes people think my sister and I are twins, but that's more because of height than anything else. I'm short.

16. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think the birth order hypothesis has a lot of truth in it and there are two very plausible mechanisms to explain this.

First, remember that with the first child parents typically are inexperienced and much more worried about child raising compared to the subsequent children. This will reflect to the parent-child interaction. Also, parents are always younger when they get their first child compared to the subsequent children. This reflects in their maturity and financial position.

Second, with the exception of the first child and twins, the first child gets all the attention at birth up until the second child is born. All the following children will have siblings and have to get used to shared parental attention from the very beginning. First child will not have siblings to "raise" them unlike all the other children. It is very typical that older children assume some kind of guardian role for the younger ones which impacts the both of the children.

Considering these factors, I would say that birth order having impact on your personality is a very plausible hypothesis.

17. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm the youngest. Dunno if it means anything, but my sister (2 years older) has always been a bit of a narcissist, and an attention hog. I was never the center of attention, not when she was around.

But, I also have a steady job, and have been in a relationship for the last four years. She has neither of those things, despite going to a four year university.

We also kind of hate each other, because she's a super bitch.

Don't get me wrong- I love her. But I will never be friends with her, and I will never want to spend one on one time with her.

18. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes^ it makes sense. I'm not sure in what ways it could influence personality, probably varies for each person. But I'm sure it plays a part in it.
    I'm the oldest & I'm definitely not the bossy one though so I can't agree with that part of the theory lol

19. alexandr

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm the second oldest of five myself, not sure how much of an effect that has had on me.

20. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My only sister is 9 year older than me. She's not smarter or more independent than I am, or at least, if you compare us at similar ages. We were both spoiled growing up - my sister probably more so considering she was an only child for 9 years of her life, but after I was born most of the attention was definitely spent on me.

She kind of took on a guardian role considering the age gap. She'd pick me up from school occasionally since our schools were close together and within walking distance anyway. I remember walking with her occasionally when she was around 18 and people regularly mistook her as my mother, lol.

I think we're quite similar overall. We both get angry easily. She's 30 this year and still acts like a stroppy teenager occasionally.. but I do too. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Must be genetic.

#20 imnotreallysure, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016