1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How easily can doctors lose credibility?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Vav, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Vav

Vav Guest

Let's say I want to be a dentist. I did well in dental school and I mostly believe in conventional dentistry. I also believe in some alternative medicine. In addition to that I believe in weird stuff like ESP and maybe some conspiracy theories. Will that make me lose credibility as a dentist?

2. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you try treat my dental problems with alternative "medicine" that is an instant professional credibility loss for me. If you don't try treating my condition with the alternative stuff but tell me about your beliefs in it and your beliefs in paranormal stuff you just lose your credibility as a person however I still trust you know your dental stuff.

3. Vav

Vav Guest

Let's say I treat your dental problems the conventional way, but I believe in some alternative medicine. Will I still lose credibility?

4. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Like I said, in my eyes you don't lose your professional credibility i.e. I still trust you are a dental professional. However, as a person you still lose your credibility although not as badly if you also tell me about believing in the paranormal stuff.

---------- Post added 4th Feb 2016 at 10:33 PM ----------

Well, what I mean by losing your personal credibility is that I will consider you either gullible, ignorant or stupid - especially if you have gone through the medical school and still retain such beliefs.

5. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Suffice to say I wouldn't entrust my healthcare or that of my family to crackpots. Especially those who want to use non medically tested alternative nonsense on me.

Happy days :slight_smile: