1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobia in you country.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by FANTIE, Feb 4, 2016.

1. FANTIE

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Explain how it's like to hold hands, kissing, bullying in details also I love stories oh if you don't mind tell your location. While I don't want to tell my location but I am going to explain it in word: ''hell''.

*Homophobia in YOUR country. ughhh

#1 FANTIE, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  2. eMei

Although the law is very much accepting of same sex couples, it is still somewhat a taboo in England, or at least in East Anglia. Two men holding hands and kissing are bound to get snarky glances from people. There is a fair amount of bigots of all ages around here.

3. joshvolby

in our country homophobia is likely just inside the family (but its lesser nowadays and only the father and male siblings are the issue, mothers always accept their children no matter what their orientation). majority of the people respect each other here we dont care if you are a gay or whatever is your orientation, what matters here is how you present yourself to others. in my observation most gay that get bullied here are those who are so feminine, those who talk like girl, walk like girl, dress like girl. its just how you show yourself to get the respect of others. be like a bitchy gay and people will treat you like a bitch. for lesbians its surprising ive never saw a lesbian that got bullied. i have classmate in highschool who is lesbian and is out, she never had a problem in her family and people surrounds her. about gay rights no gay marriage here, the church has a huge impact on that matter. oh and i live in Philippines

4. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Here in what they call the "Bible Belt" many people are openly hostile about it. Despite the supreme court ruling in favor of marriage equality, there still aren't protective laws in many states and you can quite literally be fired or forced out of your home the next day. Plus, you've got people like Trump and Cruz just waiting to push laws back to the medieval ages. Heck, it would be even worse if you were trans. Only thing I have to say is at least it's not Saudi Arabia.

5. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I live in Hong Kong and progress has been made here. There are plenty of LGBT support groups and charity events and polls show that awareness and tolerance towards the issue is increasing. However, gay marriage and adoption by gay couples still isn't legal, transgender people face huge inequalities under the law and there is still an irritating amount of homophobia.

I think part of the reason homophobia still exists here is due to leftover laws and attitudes from the British colonial days, as well as cultural clashes between the expat and HK-Chinese community. Some local schools don't even teach sex ed so I wouldn't be surprised if the LGBT community wasn't encouraged there.

I go to an international school that is generally pretty accepting (we even have a pride week coming up), but I don't think I've seen a single gay couple in Hong Kong or in my neighbourhood and I've noticed that very few people in my school have been open about their sexuality and those that do tend to be bullied or ostracized, which is discouraging to say the least...

Hopefully things will get better in my lifetime. I'm trying to be optimistic about it.

6. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Iran!
    Most people(perhaps close to 99%) have extreme homophobic thoughts. ِDuring a few decades the government has successfully institutionalized extreme hate and fear for homosexuals in the minds of the people. So there is no need for any ordinary punishment(such as execution or prison) to punish them. The people do their best for the government.

If you ask about homosexuals from most liberal people in there, They says: "They are ill and they must be treated. Same-sex relationship must not be permitted but people should not offend or hurt them because of their illness."
    But most people extremely hate us, they think we're monsters or evil creatures.
    And here is a few people that believe in equality for homosexuals. I think they're less than 1 percent, i don't know exactly.
    I've seen many so-called secular or liberal persons who believe that: "homosexuals must be treated and same-sex is unacceptable and must be punished". And they also blame the government for many things such as Sexism, Religious discrimination, Violence against opposition , ... !!!

The LGBT movement is a very young movement here but In the past few years some very small progress has been made.

---------- Post added 5th Feb 2016 at 01:59 PM ----------

It's a long-sad story. It's terrible.
    I know some good people that says horrible things about homosexuals And i can't say them: "Hey! look at me. I'm one of them. I'm a normal person not evil, you don't have to hate homosexuals." This is very awful.

I've heard about some lesbians that forced to marry with a man and so they tried to commit suicide.

I said that some progress has been made here. I want mention one of them:
    The homosexuality page in Persian Wikipedia was blocked, but a few months ago i have noticed that it's no longer blocked! :grin: :roflmao:

---------- Post added 5th Feb 2016 at 02:00 PM ----------

It's a dream for me. :icon_sad:

7. ModernCat

ModernCat Guest

Rampant.
    Over half(77%) of lgbt have contemplated suicide and half have actually done so.

They say it's supposed to get better seeing how more and more people accept homosexuality every year.

I only hope so.

---------- Post added 5th Feb 2016 at 10:16 PM ----------

No anti discrimination laws, let alone marriage or domestic partnership. It's not illegal for schools to expell students or fire workers for being gay.

Many live double lives. Some get into pretend straight relationships or marriage while dating someone else.

I think many have internalized homophobia going on, as a result.

---------- Post added 5th Feb 2016 at 10:17 PM ----------

South Korea here.

8. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    But i thought your country is better than that. I can understand homophobic thoughts of people but why the government don't do anything?

9. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This article sums up pretty much everything.
    Homosexuality is rarely talked about, so it sucks. The section 377 criminalises any sex out of natural order, so oral and anal sex is against the law. :dry: Yes. It affects heterosexuals too.
    The section is being challenged as of now, hopefully it would be scrapped ^_^

And oh, I was speaking about India.

#9 mychemromance99, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  10. Cinis

Cinis Guest

In Germany

I guess it depends on the people technically it's politically incorrect to be homophobic so that's how everyone behaves but a lot of people still have some internalized homophobia (like parents protesting their children reading books about lgbt topics in school)
    The law could be improved as the marriage and adoption rights aren't completely equal but all in all it's not a bad place to be queer in

11. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    United States here.

Homophobia in the states vary greatly. I live in a more 'liberal' state, so my peers are usually quite tolerant and aren't that hostile towards LGBT individuals. That said, homophobia is still prevalent (especially to people in the older generation). I often see same-sex couples in public and most don't seem bothered about it or care. But there are some people who would give a second look and glare. So it definitely depends on the person.

I think anti-discrimination laws here include LGBT, but it's not the same in a lot of other states (particularly the southern states). Much work still needs to be done. I'm sure the US (as a whole) ranks somewhere in the upper-middle compared to other countries. I can only hope that this trend of LGBT acceptance continues over time.

12. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Northern European here.

I have no idea about my country. If you read from the news it's hard currency to be gay in here. I mean the media is constantly writing about LGBT issues in positive light - so much that it gets awkward. Apart from rural areas and low class neighborhoods open homophobia and hatred is nearly non-existent. Gay marriage became recently legal including adoption and there are all kinds of silly hate speech and hate crime laws in place.

Having said that many people still are uncomfortable around and about non-straights. I fully sympathize with those who wish to remain in the closet as many of my openly gay friends have told me that they have lost some of their straight friends after they came out. Not that they were publicly disowned but people just disappear around them.

I haven't told anything about my sexuality to most of my friends in here. Some of them seem to suspect something since I have never had a girl friend but they just make subtle hints which I choose to ignore. One friend has asked different kinds of probing questions about my sex life (but not directly asked if I'm gay) to which I have responded that I don't discuss my sex life with those to whom it's irrelevant.

#12 Euler, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  13. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

In america, in general, it's pretty safe, except when it isnt

14. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hm it varies a lot in Brazil.

On one hand, gays have the same marriage and adoption rights as heterosexuals since 2013. The LGBT community has gained more space in the media recently as well and the press, in general, has been raising more awareness to LGBT issues. Our two biggest cities also promote Pride parades. On the other, we do have a lot of politicians who have an anti-gay, pro-family, agenda, but, honestly, I don't think they have enough power to reverse anything.

My city, in particular, tends to be more accepting. It's not so rare to see same-sex couples in the most popular spots or in the subway, for example. However, it's a different story in smaller towns and also in the North of the country. That is why so many gays leave there to come to big cities of the South, which is richer and more diverse.

The last poll regarding gay marriage was made in 2014, I think. 53% opposed and 40% supported it, but the younger generations were more accepting of it.

15. AlexanderDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Usually, the majority here aren't very homophobic, even less in my city (we seem to be very liberal here XD) but in the whole lower half of the country, it's a lot more common.

16. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It varies, but I guess Portugal is not a particularly homophobic country. There's certainly some homophobic people around, but they're usually not too extreme about it, at least not on the same scale as in some other countries. Gay marriage was approved here back in 2010, and adoption a few months ago. Heteronormativity is extremely present though.

I also know that a portuguese gay couple recently did an experiment video filmed in different cities of the country, to see how people reacted to their public displays of affection (holding hands, kissing, etc). The outcome was positive overall, many people stared, but there was no violence or rude comments. The only hate they got was online ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

17. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in the Netherlands, but this sums it up I think. =) As in Germany, there are people that are still homophobic.

So even in the Netherlands, I wouldn't hold hands with my boyfriend in public. People would most likely stare, and I know there have been homophobic attacks in this country as well. I don't see a reason to hold hands when I know there's a risk of being attacked or being ridiculed. My boyfriend's and my safety and well-being are more important. :slight_smile:

18. Cedar

I've only lived around here for almost three years, I'm talking about South-western ontario, Canada. I used to visit here often when I was younger though. I think it varies on whether or not you live in a small town or not, currently live in a small town so I can't really say for other places around here.

When I lived on the rez, a lot of people were against LGBT people but were mildly accepting of people so long as they "didn't do it around them" but with people trying to accept their culture, they tend to be more accepting of it. So if I were to tell people that I'm transgender their reaction might vary form, "well, it doesn't really matter what you are," to, "you know you're going to hell for that, right?" The residential schools hit my rez pretty hard.

Where I live now is mildly conservative, there isn't much(if any) LGBT "scene" here and the vibe I'm getting from people is mostly influenced by religion. I honestly have only lived here for a little over a month so I can't really say for certain but it seems like there's mostly a "if you're not hurting anybody, it's fine" kind of thing from some people. Only time will tell, once I start trying to "pass" more.

19. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in the UK. From what I've seen, people are very rarely violent about, and the general consensus among non-LGBT people is not caring all that much. I think people would most often turn a blind eye to same-sex couples holding hands/kissing. Not that knowledgeable but I'm pretty sure there's good discrimination laws, and same sex marriage is obviously legal.

20. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suspect location is important.. I'd feel pretty comfortable holding hands here, but even within the same city there are contrasts - deprived areas tend to be more hostile.