1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shy?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sugar, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Sugar

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you guys introvert or extrovert? Do you get shy easily? or are you completely out going?

I have a huge problem with meeting new people even if it's just friendly. I'm not able to talk to anyone I don't know and make conversation without being on the influence of something (i should get that checked). I think it's because I'm really self-conscious and not to mention that I turn extremely red when I'm talking to someone new. I try though. I can't say that I hide at home and avoid people, I actually do try to get out there and talk to people but I will avoid certain outings if I'm not up for it or if I feel to nervous.

Also, do you guys have any tips for starting conversations and meeting new people?

2. Steam Giant

I'm super shy! Around friends, I'm very relaxed and speak my mind, but when I'm around people I don't know, it's hard for me to say two words ; ; it's really hard for me to talk to strangers when I'm out and about. If anyone has any advice for Sugar, I'd like to read it, too! ^^`

3. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have, like, two sides. I like to speak in public and I have acted as a teacher more than once (loved it). However, I normally don't talk a lot when I'm with people. For example, if I go out, most of the time I spend the whole night without saying a word.

4. wtinal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As I think about it, I am really quite the social butterfly most of the time. I talk to strangers on every possible occasion(sp?) - at the gym, grocery store, walking down the street, at restaurants, and many other places. At the same time, I don't have very many close friends (those I can call to go hang out with). Part of it probably has been the fact I have been hiding I am gay. Part of it though is that I really think good friends are hard to come by these days.

How to start conversations? Just do it. I figure if I start a conversation and the other person does not want to participate, they will respond with a short answer or give some other indication. I have found most people in this world to be very nice - at least on the surface. I have had VERY few people be rude or negative back to me when I started a conversation. Start about anything - "I like your shoes" (even if you don't), "what brings you here", etc etc etc. The worst conversation starter I have found to be is "how are you".

On the other hand, you can be an advocate for conversations. When someone asks you, "how are you" - tell them. You don't have to be dramatic or detailed or rude, but you certainly can give an answer besides "fine" or "okay". Right now, the answer I am giving to someone who asks me "how are you" is "my life is sufficiently challenged". Just by coming up with a creative, honest answer I am doing something different and initiating conversation.

Again, remember I am learning how to make friends too. I am not very good at it, but these are things I am finding work (at least better than not talking to anyone at all).

5. TexasRomance

TexasRomance Guest

Totally out going...
    it is easy to be that way!
    when i meet someone knew i say my name.
    not hi im shawn larson but you can call me shawn
    or hi i am james willson call me james.
    i mean "hi. my name is Timothy Savoie."
    most adult women dont say their name like a man could...
    meaning hi i am mrs. adler or hi am ms.adler...men dont need to worry bout that
    they are always mr.adler
    i just set aside what makes me unconfortable and think
    wth? everyone farts so why should i care if someone hears me! i will laugh at make a joke out of it!
    or everyone gets mad over nothing...i shouldnt feel guilty for anything.
    NIRVANA- I am almost there lol

6. Double Dubya

I’m not exactly shy, just quiet. I think of a shy person as not wanting to be around other people. I don’t mind other people, I just don’t talk to them much. I can shake a stranger’s hand and carry on a conversation but I am very self conscious of my speech so I tend to drop off and just hang out with them.

7. Sugar

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

yess that's a lot like how i feel. (ps: yes it's me in the picture and thank you for the compliment hehe made me blush)

8. xxAngelOnFirexx

I'm quite amoung most people. but around people i know more i won't shut up, nad i'm really outgoing. i like being voer the internet because then i can be myself. i heard of a lot of people being fake online because they can. i'm the opposite. what you read is what i am.

9. Kimi

I'm usually quite out going and have no problem with talking to strangers.
    But definitely I'm not the guy who is loud and annoying type at all......I'm hoping:eek:

As far as how to start conversations...I think it's really depends on situations like if you are at grocery store and ask this lady where you can get a lawn mower it doesn't make sense!!! So I'd say whatever that pops in my mind at the moment and try to be funny and friendly as possible.

...And that's pretty much everything that I can think of...
    I know they are very "useful":eusa_doh:

10. xequar

I am very much an extrovert... As I've gotten older, I've mellowed out quite a bit, but when I was in high school and college, I was that loud, sometimes obnoxious guy that sometimes made people do a double-take when I said or did something.

Personally, I think it's more interesting that way!

11. Steam Giant

I love the internet. For me, it allows me to be not only outgoing, but also much more honest and truthful about myself than even my closest friends. I really don't hide anything on the net...it's so relaxing to let your walls down, you know?

12. EthanS

EthanS Guest

Yer im the same... its so annoying:bang: :bang: :bang: .. i take ages to get used to new people.. well most of em neway

13. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I'm kind of in the middle really, though probably more extrovert than when I was younger.

14. GuitarGirl1350

I'm very much an extrovert. I love meeting new people.
    However, when I'm in a foul mood I do not like associating with anyone.

15. darkness

It is a little strange for me. When I am with my friends I laugh and joke and they think I am very out spoken and make them laugh at my point of view on life.... but when it comes to meeting people if I am bored I can just start a conversation with anyone sitting next to me... but to actually make a friend I can't really get past just the small talk.... and most people think that I am a B**** just because I am shy and don't really open up easily.... still working on getting past that....:help:

16. SadConfusedBandGeek

OMG i am so outgoing, and i love to talk to anyone! People are amazing to talk to! I even talk to myself lol

But i have always thought that moving to a new place would bring such an adrenaline rush! Meeting all new people, and making new friends! OMG it would be SOO MUCH FUN!!!!!

but i have lived in the same place sincei was 2, so i know everyone, but i am still friends with everyone new cause i like meeting new ppl lol

17. SpikySpice

Well, it depends on the people I'm talking too. Mostly I'm shy to strangers,, but once I got used to them they said I'm so annoying. In the hallway, I'm speaking soft voice, but in class, I scream, and the teacher and others always complain.

I'm a Quiet Sweety, lol, yer, but when it is my time, I'm a Radio Station

I used to be shy online, now I'm getting better^^

18. aprilblue426

im shy around anyone i don't know, even online. but i've found that it's a lot easier being open online than i thought, so...yeah. and im kind of in a sort of "changin mode" right now, cuz, idk. ever since i came out, im more confident with myself. maybe in time i'll be totally extroverted! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. justjoshoh

I'm generally an introvert. I have to work hard to switch to "extroversion mode" when working with the public at work.

20. cicero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm an introvert - can be painfully shy. However, in the end, I always do enjoy meeting new people...