1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Character Identity is affecting me IRL

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by KorrasamiIsBest, Feb 5, 2016.

1. KorrasamiIsBest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think this is a result of being an introvert and not connecting with the real world enough. I have this thing that's been bothering me for a long time now. I hope you all don't think I'm weird for it :frowning2: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But I have this sort of mental… barrier I guess? Where I identify so much with a character that if something bad happens in their life I relate it to when a very similar bad thing happened to me and I become depressed. I don't know, it's strange. A lot of my friends also will also tell me "you are this character". And I get what they're saying. That I resemble that character. But some take it too far (hard to explain how) and when I tell them "look I get that you're probably just joking, but I'd like it if you'd stop" they don't respect that. I don't want to be X character or associated with X character, I just want to be me, you know, a real person. Why is that too much to ask? I am an introvert and it's hard for me to actually get out there and be bothered to talk to people but I am trying to do more about that and build up my confidence. Sorry if this is a rather odd question, I am just really frustrated about it. More frustrated about me being an introvert, I guess.

2. Jellal

Maybe you should try some lighter fare where terrible things don't happen to characters. If it's actually depressing you and effecting your mental health, ease off that stuff.