1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT people in the South

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by edogs334, Feb 7, 2009.

1. edogs334

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm originally from the North and go to school in the South (NC to be specific). Ever since coming out and meeting other gay people, I've been so inspired by meeting (and hearing about) numerous LGBT people who are from just about every corner of the state and choose to stay. Not that there aren't LGBT people who want to pack their bags for Boston, NYC, or SF the first chance they get; not that it isn't hard being in a (more/less) conservative state where LGBT people have relatively little protection. But seriously, it's just really inspiring to see that there ARE people down here who want to stay and fight (as Harvey Milk once said) instead of moving. In my heart, I doubt that states like NC will ever offer as many benefits and protections to LGBT people compared to states like Massachusetts and Connecticut. But I have hope that, at least with Obama in office, federal legislation will pass that affords LGBT folks here (and throughout the South) the basic protections that their state governments have refused to offer (I'm not talking about marriage). And I also have hope that, with the recent election of Sen. Kay Hagen and Gov. Bev Purdue, the climate towards LGBT people in this state will become more favorable.

2. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

My state is considerd to be part of the south but it doesn't have that bible belt attitude though a lot of little sections of the state do. I'm lucky to live in the area where its pretty much a melting pot. Florida has made some progress on glbt rights in the past year. Though amendment 2 passed so did a motion to allow 2 gay foster parents to legally adopt their foster children. This happend in Miami I think and it also happend under the radar so a lot of the bible thumpers didn't hear about it.

There is much room for improvement but it still isnt enough to keep me from moving somewhere else. I live in a melting pot but we are surronded by bible thumpers on all sides of our county line. Wear a helmet if you want to visit florida or they'll try to knock the devil out of you with the "holiest of books" (iorny?)

3. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Let me just give you a few bits of info...

-Last year, for a few weeks, I would carry around an index card and keep track of how many orientation-based slurs and insults were said each day. I think the highest I got was 40-something "faggot"s and "tranny"s in one day.

-People who are even suspected of being gay are pretty much rejected from all social circles, avoided in every possible way, and feared by the majority of the students. One table in the lunchroom is the unofficial "gay table" because no one else wants to sit with them, except the hags I guess.

-The two or three out gay people are constantly made fun of in other classes. The funny thing is, it's only the gay males. We have an out and proud lesbian couple who go everywhere together, and no one says a word.

-"Milk" went out of theaters within a week or two at the local theater, whereas other less popular movies hang around for almost a month. Whether it means the theater wanted it pulled or there weren't enough people seeing it to bring in money, both are bad signs.

-There are literally churches across the street from churches, on every corner and every block. None of them are gay-affirming, like it really affects me directly anyway, but still.

-Just some fun facts: we have some of the worst rates of AIDS, the syph, and teen pregnancy in the country. Plus one of the lowest average numbers of high school grads.

-Of all the states, Alabama is the only one (besides maybe Mississippi) that I'm certain would never legalize same-sex marriage by choice or election. It would take a federal law forcing SS marriage into legal status for it to happen, and even then Alabama wouldn't go down without a fight.

4. I'm glad that there are some people brave enough to stay there, but to be honest I wouldn't leave Boston for anything. And the fact of the matter is the South is a horrible place to be gay in. But I guess it's good that there are some who want to stay there to try and improve things even if it is at a glacial pace.

5. BlueRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've lived in Georgia for my whole life, and I love it here. I may not agree with everyone around me, but how can I expect things to change if I leave?

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    My son moved from progressive Oregon to Lake Charles, Louisiana so he would know what you are talking about edgos334. Even though he lived in a conservative area here in Oregon I think it was still further along than alot of Lousiana is. At least we have anti-discrimination laws and domestic partnership laws here.

7. Bryan

i mean it depends where you are going in NC. Places like UNC Asheville and UNC Chapel Hill are very liberal. NC State is fairly conservative.

8. Time

I can completely relate. Arkansas is not much better, unfortunately.

9. Paralyzer

Gays in the South are ♥
    omg, and if they have southern accents then ♥♥♥
    Haha.. irrelevant I guess, but I love the south :]

Sure, the people down there are a little more close minded, but the ones that are open minded tend to be really cool and chill with everything in general and know how to have fun :]

There are so many things I love about the south, it weighs out the bad by a tremendous value. I know I'm from Virginia... but I'm reffering to everything below that.

10. littledinosaurs

Derek we need to start our war against England and the south again.

11. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey, at least let me leave first!

Not much of a "southern kid" myself, and I guess I have a slight accent, but...nice to see at least SOMEONE out there likes southern people and doesn't assume we're all trailer park idiots.

For the record, I live in a three-story house in the suburbs.

12. starfish

Texas is kinda sorta in the south. The larger cities are better than the rural areas, and Austin is really good, but yeah I still worry some.

I'm divided my self. While I am enjoying Austin, I am a county boy at heart. I want to move out to a rural area, buy a few acres and build my home. I grew up in a rural area, and it was not exactly gay friendly. Honestly what scares me is law enforcement. Some jack ass running his mouth off I can deal with. I have seen what can happen when some small town sheriff decides he does not like someone. Not to cast aspersions, as most law enforcement officers would not abuse there power. It is just in my experience rural areas tend to work on the good ol' boy system, making it very difficult to defend yourself from the ones that do abuse their power.

The other day someone asked me why I did not move to LA, or Boston, or any number of gay friendly large cities. I told them that is not where I want to live. I don't like big cities and want to live in a small area.

To be honest I am not very concerned with LGBT rights. I really don't care if the state recognizes my marriage, or passes hate crime laws, or has anti discrimination laws. All I really want is to be left alone and be allowed to live my life. Which to be honest is all most people want. It is just those few that think they need to save us from our selves ruin it for the rest of us.