1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The victim card...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Radioactive Bi, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just wondering if anyone else on here is fed up of so many people playing the victim card in order to get attention or push their own agenda? Now, there are many out there who are genuine victims of abuse of some sort, which I'm sure a fair amount of people on this site can probably genuinely relate to, however, has anyone else noticed how there does seem to be a lot of individuals and groups out there that like to portray themselves as a victim of some sort just to garner attention.

It's almost become like a; who is the bigger victim, competition. Especially people in first world countries who go on about how soooo oppressed they are and then whinge about a bunch of trivial first world problems.

What are your thoughts on this?

Happy days :slight_smile:

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Personal opinion: Everyone is oppressed in some shape or form; even ruling class white straight cis males can be oppressed. Then there are some people in known oppressed groups who aren't oppressed at all due to other factors, and might actually be oppressing others.

Another opinion: It seems like everything is considered abuse. Even telling your teenager that they are having their phone taken away for a week because they've been seriously rude is considered abuse, even though this seems like a fair (but annoying) punishment.

Also opinion: I feel people use the fact they're in a known oppressed groups to make it out like they're oppressed and should always get their own way, when sometimes even if someone is in a non-known oppressed group has the genuine better idea, the person in the known oppressed group's idea has to go ahead, just to make it look like equality - when it's not. (equality is treating everyone fairly).

Final opinion: I hate it when rich people give £100,000 to charities and everyone makes out like they're amazing people (even though they have millions more in the bank) and I give £1 to charity and get looked down like I haven't given enough. Goodness, we've both given money to help poorer/needing people, a simple thank-you would suffice both. Trivial problem, I know, but it annoys me.

#2 Secrets5, Feb 7, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  3. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yep, I know a lot of people who can't handle criticism and always say ''Oh you're just telling me this because I'm an X person'' or ''You'll never understand what I'm saying because you're a privileged Y and I have the right to be rude to you''.

Honestly, those are the kind of people who'll always blame someone else for their problems and they tire me.

4. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do get tired of the victim card and I make an effort to try and not use it myself.

5. wannahavechange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Another infp I see. I'm on the cusp of infj tho XD

6. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I am a silver medalist in the Oppression Olympics--the world's most lucrative competition.

7. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I think everyone has their own stuff to deal with and everyone has a completely different life and has different standards of what level of struggle they're used to. What may be a simple obstacle/experience for one person could be an impossible struggle to another who may have lived their life without similar struggles. You can't compare one person's struggles to another's no matter how different they may seem.
    That being said, I think a lot of people in the world, probably most everyone takes things for granted that they really should stop and be thankful for. We don't realize the struggles we could be faced with but luckily aren't, and we focus more on the struggles that are making our own lives difficult. I think that's natural, but bottom line is regardless of who's being oppressed or who's problem is worse than who's I think everyone could be happier and more helpful to others by being more thankful and thinking about the struggles that other people face, not just their own.

8. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It seems to be incredibly common in the United States, at least with the religious political figures. You know, they're so oppressed because they can't always push their agenda on everybody. Remember Kim Davis?

9. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^ America is associated with the concept of "freedom" to an almost comical extent, to where the "freedom to discriminate" is considered a virtue (while simultaneously ignoring the freedoms of those discriminated against).

10. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    God, I hate this. I know people with anxiety who are constantly told to get over it because 'others have it worse'. I know people from abusive families who are constantly compared to other people because at least <insert horrible situation> didn't happen to them.

Yes, some people have it worse, but that doesn't make anyone who's suffering any less valid. People shouldn't be made to suffer in silence just because someone, somewhere felt worse than they did.

11. sunshine360

sunshine360 Guest

This article gives me a bad taste in my mouth. Yes, I do believe there are people who take no responsibility for themselves and pull the "Woe is me" card for pity but there are people out there who are genuinely suffering. Even though their situation might not seem all that important, it is important to them. Also where is the line drawn between victim card and genuine suffering? Idk...