1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this okey?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jack7513, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Jack7513

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Something happened and it got me really upset. I was looking (desperate for answers) in our biology-books at school and there were only TWO sentences about transgender people:

Transgender people doesn't feel like the gender in their head is the same as they were born in. Fifteen people in Sweden change their gender every year with a surgery.

This book is a few years old, but not more than like 4 years. And to ad there were less than a page about different kinds of sexualities ( not including queer, asexual or even bi I think).

I don't think that this is okey, but maybe it's only me. I would really like to hear what you guys think.

2. Cinis

Cinis Guest

I have a little bit of a split opinion about this...
    On one hand we can't prove that someone is LGBT by biology (yet?) so why should it be in a biology book?
    It's also not that big of a topic since teachers have to get through with their lesson in a small amount of time with certain topics they have to do through the schoolyear.

On the other hand i find it very important to at least mention or discuss it during sex ed for the students that might feel that way.It would give them the feeling of being normal and erase some internal conflict that can be very painful for themselves.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with RY above. It's a topic for a class other than biology, which has a lot of little details which relate to life in general, rather than a particular condition for humans that would be more suited to a psychology or other social science setting.

4. Jack7513

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

I totally agree with you guys, but in our school sex ed is in the same class and book as biology.