1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When the stereotypes aren't right...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lovetoomuch, Feb 8, 2016.

1. lovetoomuch

Hi there, I'm curious if anyone has had a similar experience to what happened to me last night.

My friend invited me over for a Super Bowl party and a lot of the other people at the party I didn't know. I met one of my friend's friends and after talking him for 5 minutes, I think most people would assume he is gay (based solely on stereotypes).
    So firstly, it was wrong of me to assume anything in the first place. He has a really feminine voice (I guess that was my first indicator), but it's still something I shouldn't have assumed. He used his hands a lot when he talked and wasn't really into the football game. As the night went on, I found him cuter and cuter.

However, from the beginning of the night, I knew he has a girlfriend (who was also at the party) and they are in a pretty serious relationship as they are living together.
    I didn't flirt or anything last night, but I find myself thinking about him even though I know I can't. I am assuming he is very much straight and he just happens to be more on the feminine side. Luckily I probably won't see him again so I hopefully don't have to worry about it again.

My question is, have any of you ever crushed on someone you assumed was gay or bisexual and found out he / she is straight? Or did you just make an assumption about someone's sexuality in general (doesn't have to be a crush) and find out you were wrong? Thanks!

2. guitar

Absolutely! A few weeks ago I did exactly as you describe above. I didn't get overly flirty but was a tad more playful with him than others at the party. I was debating stepping up my game until he started talking about his girlfriend. Swing and a miss.

It was funny because later at the party someone commented how he made a much better gay guy than I do. =|

3. lovetoomuch

Yep, that was basically me yesterday - lol. We left the party and I mentioned the couple to my other friend at the party (she doesn't know I'm gay). She said, "Wait, really? I thought he was gay." :lol: Oh well.

4. Cinis

Cinis Guest

There's this one girl in my class where everyone just kinda assumed she was a lesbian first because of her behaviour (and because she is blond?I don't know why that would make her gay but..*shrug*) turns out she's 100% straight though :lol:

5. lovetoomuch

I'm just going to bump this since it didn't get many replies. :grin:

6. Totoro73

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My junior year I had the biggest crush on this senior! He had a girlfriend but I could've swore that he was kind of into me, but I wasn't out and was convinced that he was straight so I didn't make any moves. Later on they broke up with the reason being he was feeling confused(I was close friends with his girlfriend), which really got my hopes up!!! But he ended up crushing on another girl which sucked... A couple of years later and a bit of stalking I find that he's bisexual! How I wish I'd gone for it hahahaha