1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do straight people go to gay bars?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AdverseYaw, Feb 8, 2016.

1. AdverseYaw

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's the reason I'm nervous approaching attractive women in lesbian bars. I think the same goes for gay men. For me, a woman could say "I'm straight" or give me a look of disgust. I also hate straight people who go to gay bars to make out, are they trying to lay their claim on here? And what is with the straight men sending leery gazes to lesbians couples or hitting on them?

Have you ever seen gay/lesbian people going to straight bars and hitting on someone of the same gender? Or have you seen lesbians and gay people making out in a straight bar (except for some desperate straight women competing for men's attention)? It's very frustrating!

2. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    They're open to the public, basically. Maybe in the past, it was known more for being "seedy", or like a secret society, but now, you see all sorts of people there (and increasingly, in straight bars).

I think straight guys are less of an issue, unless they're after straight girls, or are invited by friends. Basically, I try not to assume someone's sexuality. A huge bear type guy approached me at one, and I was confused, since it was like 95% gay men, and my looks aren't something that most are into. *shrugs*

Most here seem to be able to take someone hitting on them, and might even "flirt" back. A lot of allies. Same with Pride. As long as they're respectful, and keep in mind that they're guests, it shouldn't be an issue.

3. AKTodd

When I was going to the bars with friends, some of our circle were straight, including one of my housemates. The women in the group liked the company of their friends, the music and dancing in the bar, and probably the fact that very few guys were going to hit on them. And if a woman were to hit on them, they would have been expected to decline politely since they were after all in a venue where being hit on by someone of the same sex was normal.

The straight male housemate said he liked going to the bars because they had better music:thumbsup: At the bar our group mainly went to, he initially got hit on a good bit, but just turned them all down with good-natured humor while explaining he was straight - including when some guys would suggest that he might really like trying sex with a guy and the like. After a few visits the word had gone round that he was straight but cool and the come on's basically stopped except for some done for humorous chain yanking.

If a straight person goes to a gay bar to have (respectful) fun like everyone else, then I say more power to them.

Todd

4. armydude

armydude Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I dont go to gay bars, but i can see how this would get annoying. Then again, it's not like gay people can just ban straight people from their bars. That would be as bad as the other way around.

5. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lot of them go to dance, or see drag shows, or tag along with LGBT friends. Lots of reasons.

6. davidfreckelton

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    To watch lesbians make out.

7. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My husband would go with his friend, because his fiend is gay and that's where he wanted to go. They went to straight bars too, just friends hanging out.

8. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know that a lot of straight girls go to gay bars because they are tired of being hit on by guys. Now some guys have realized this and they go to gay bars after the straight girls.

A male friend of mine wanted to go to a gay bar with me and when I asked why he said he wanted to hit on girls there but needed a wing man to keep the gay guys away by pretending to be his partner. Apparently he wanted to trick the girls that he is gay but wanted to "experiment".

9. timo

Cause they're fun. I drag my straight friends with me to gay bars because they're cool places and the beer is cheap

Yes.

Yes. In fact I have been that guy.

10. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oddly, the only interesting gay males I've met have been in 'straight' bars, I think because they are a lot more artsy and diverse, especially around the art college here. The gay bars here are pretty horrible, in terms of mainly being filled with stereotypes, and very preppy.

I think it's been maybe 5 years since I been to one? It's hard to get me to go, they make me bored.

11. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because we're awesome, and who wouldn't want to hang out with us?

Lex

12. guitar

Where are these gay bars with cheap beer?! Every gay bar I've been to it's like the most expensive beer!

13. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    From personal experience, the straight women I knew loved to go to gay bars because they felt free to have fun and dance without having men prowl on them. Also, a lot of straight women just love being in the company of gay men in the gay club. Now, the straight men that I know whom have frequent a gay club was because of their friendship with me. They visit gay clubs with me in order to be a part of my world. However, they all had requested that we pretend to be a couple in order to keep guys from making passes at them which worked.