1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mblgtacc 2016!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BryanM, Feb 8, 2016.

1. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everyone! I just wanted to start this thread to talk about the Midwest Bisexual Lesbian Gay Transgender Ally College Conference that's going to be happening in a little under two weeks. I'm getting the opportunity to go with a bunch of my LGBTQ friends with a student org funding our trip to Purdue University and I'm really excited for this! This is my first real major conference I'm attending too, so there's another milestone out of the way. I was just wondering if any of you lovely humans are going to MBLGTACC this year or have been in past years and what your experiences have been like, or what your experiences at other conferences have been like. :grin:

The theme for this year's conference is "Introspection At The Crossroads" so I was thinking we could also have a discussion about that and the themes of looking into yourself and intersectionality that are being looked at as well. I think it's a pretty important theme, especially with the major advance with nationwide marriage equality last June to do some self-reflection and think about what the LGBTQ rights movement needs to work on next, because I think it's very apparent we have a long way to go before we really are equal in society. Also, I think it's important to realize that everyone within the community will have different experiences based upon their identities and how they react with each other, and I think it's fair to say that I as a white cis gay man will have a much different experience than most trans women of color, and I need to realize in what ways I'm privileged and figure out how to ally with and stand in solidarity with other marginalized groups. But what do you all think? What should the LGBTQ community as a whole focus on next, and how do your personal identities intersect with one another and make your experiences within the community unique?