1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If there was a cure for being trans

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DreamerBoy17, Feb 11, 2016.

?

Would you take a pill to cure being trans?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    47.4%
  3. Not Sure

11 vote(s)
    28.9%
  1. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What if there was a pill that aligned your mental perception of gender to the sex you were born as? I've heard gender described as what's "between your ears" before and I've been thinking a lot on it lately. If being transgender deals with your brain and inhibits the way you function (can lead to depression, anxiety, suicide, the living hell that is dysphoria), is it a mental disorder? Would we be better off if it was curable? I mean, think about it. No more dysphoria. No more expensive surgeries or hormones, family abandonment, any of that. Just being able to lead a normal life without the complications and hate being trans brings.
    Of course, this could cause big problems if conservative parents tried to force their trans kid to take the pill without the kid's consent.

Honestly, I don't know what I'd do. On one hand, I'd love to be able to lead a normal life without dealing with all of this. But on the other... Being male is so integral to my identity, I can't imagine a life as being female. The idea of losing such an important part of me terrifies me. And in a way, I feel like being trans has made me a more resistant and mature person. It's shaped my identity in far more ways than my gender. It's my soul, through and through.

Explain what you would do.

#1 DreamerBoy17, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  2. Foz

Foz Guest

I'm not trans, but I would never go back to being straight, everything is just fabulous! I can enjoy fashion for example without "that's a bit gay", surprise bitches I am gay! It's just better :lol:

Also, just the general life experience I've gained just makes me a better rounded person, I wouldn't swap it for anything.

3. YinYang

Taking a pill to 'cure' being trans would be like taking a pill to cure the fact that I like pizza or my math skills. It's a part of who I am. I couldn't imagine living life as a girl, and honestly, I don't want to. I like who I am. It took me a long time to get to this level of understanding of who I am and I don't want all that to be in vain. Besides, the journey to finding myself is also a big part of who I am and I don't want to just throw that away. Sure, being cis would make life easier, but it would be a different life. It wouldn't be me anymore. So no, I wouldn't take the pill.

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If there was a pill that would make my brain match my body, then no. I wouldn't be me anymore. However, if there was a pill that would make my body match my brain (so I'd be a cis guy), then I'd think about it.

5. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ha, I would take the cis guy pill in a heartbeat, trust me.

6. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hell no.

I wouldn't be me anymore. I never came close to identifying as female, so it would be a massive change in my personality and such. I would take it if it made my body align with my gender, but absolutely not the opposite.

On top of that, I'm pretty much done with transition, so I wouldn't be ''better off'' if I took that pill now.

7. JackIsANerd

I am not sure how I feel about this but I don't think I would enjoy being a cis female. There is a guy trapped in this female body, I want nothing more than to transition.

8. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I find nothing wrong with having been trans.

this article sort of sums up how I feel about being trans. It was just something that was suppose to be and I would 't want it any other way

9. Emulator

I like being trans.

10. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The way I see it, it's a pill designed to turn me into a woman.
    I never was nor am I a woman, so no.
    Thank you, but no.

11. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't go for it. I've embarked upon the journey of being trans and might as well continue. It's just who I am. I wouldn't change that, no matter how awful it can sometimes be.

12. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If there was a cure to being trans that made you the gender you identity as, that would be amazing, but a pill that could make you the gender you were assigned is a little iffy. Gender identity is a part of who you are, and it's a little intrusive to change that.

Then again, I understand why people would appreciate something like this.

13. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not trans, but from what I understand being trans is not like being gay. Being trans is a disorder to some degree. Confusion about ones gender is not good. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with being trans and I wish trans people all the best. I don't mean disorder in a discrimation sort of way but in the same way depression is a disorder. Being trans from what I heard is very hard even when you look past the discrimination.

I suppose the hard part is the nature of the cure. Does the cure changes you to your desired gender or does it remove the desire to change gender? If I was trans I don't know which one I prefered.

14. CyanChachki

I have to admit, yes. I would take it. These last few years have been very difficult, not only in coming out, but being accepted. Accepted personally and the Transgender community being accepted as a whole. I know there's a reason why we have to push through and that's for the younger generation and it's great, but with that being said, I am tired of fighting for something that should be understood and I'm tired of trying my hardest to be accepted for something that shouldn't be so hard to accept.

It's sad. It truly is. It makes me sad, it makes me feel angry at times that I have to basically come out to the people I may have a relationship with. I have to eventually come out to the people who make close friends with and those people may not even stick around. I wish I could just wipe my past clean and never speak of it again. I am tired of my family and friends using the wrong pronouns and calling me by the wrong name and not even trying to change or make an effort anymore. I'm tired of fearing the idea that people are going to attack me. I just want to be a biological male with no setbacks or questions added.

So yes, if I had to choose living a peaceful life over a life that has a ton of drama, fear and is consistently keeping me on edge, yeah, I'd choose to take the easy way out, but in reality, that's not how life works. Right now, I know what I want and I'm too far into this to back out. I've lost the people I have and I have the people that kindly stuck around. There's just nothing I can do about the people who've chosen to leave my side, I couldn't and I would never force them to stay. I can't change the way that I feel, even though many times I wish I could. However, that would only be from the idea of wanting people to like me and in that case, I would rather people like me and not think twice about me being transgender, than to have people stick around in hopes that I stop what I'm doing.

#14 CyanChachki, Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  15. Irisviel

I'd strongly consider such a "cure". But I feel like I'm in the minority of mtf-ish people, because my life would not have changed much if I got rid ofsysphoria. The way I imagine it would work is that I would largely stay the same, but got rid of all the discomfort.

But then again, if I could take a cis body pill, I'd take that one over the brain wash one, as a "perfect" hrt/srs replacement.

And why? I'm like a tomboy kind of a woman. I fear I will never pass or be treated seriously if I express myself as a butch. So, this imaginary brain fix in my case would not damage my personality, I believe - simply because there is a lot of msculine expression in me.

#15 Irisviel, Feb 12, 2016
  16. Cedar

Couldn't there just be a pill that turned me into a "fully-functioning" male-bodied individual? Or maybe a thing I could slap people with that would turn them into a more tolerant person:

Me: You there! Feel the might of my mighty tolerance stick!
    *hits them with stick once or twice*
    Them:...
    Them: oh wow, I feel like such a calmer and tolerant person now!

17. alexandr

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am transgender, and it is a deeply rooted part of my identity and my self, so I wouldn't take a pill to remove such a fundamental piece of myself.

#17 alexandr, Feb 12, 2016
  18. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am very surprised of the opinions presented here. The general trend seems to be that people do not feel that the problem is in the brain but in the rest of their bodies. I find this quite puzzling. Let me explain why.

Apart from the rare cases of chromosomal and hormonal level abnormalities sex is binary and fairly unambiguous. Scientifically speaking most transpeople have clear and unambiguous sex. So the problem is clearly within the brain be it result of genetic, hormonal or social causes. The rest of their bodies is not somehow dysfunctional, it's the perception of their bodies. My stance regarding all issues is that reality cannot be wrong just because we don't like it. For this reason I cannot understand refusal to take the pill.

If you disagree with me, let's examine some other similar cases. There are people who genuinely feel that some parts of their bodies, say arms or legs, do not belong to them and have felt like this for years. Is it truly so that the problem indeed is the person's leg or arm or is the problem in the brain? Do you think that a person refusing to take a pill that cures his body part dysphoria is at right to refuse such treatment insisting that how he feels is part of his personality? Should we play along with this person's thinking? That we acknowledge that his body part is not actually his?

Or how about a person who has hallucinations and is offered a cure but he refuses it because the hallucinations are part of his personality? If so is it ethical to forcefully medicate delusional people? I suffer from a genetic condition that regulates what I can eat (or even breath). The condition is long lasting and it affects my life greatly (although it's not like I think about it all the time). If I refused a hypothetical treatment because the disease is "part of who I am" would you applaud my decision?

(DISCLAIMER: Obviously if someone has already transitioned or close to it taking this magic pill would be rather nonsensical so I talk about those who are just discovering or in the early stages of transitioning.)

19. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Euler, I'm glad you posted. I was wondering the same type of questions- why we consider some things delusions and others, like being trans, as normal. It seems to be an unpopular opinion on the forums, but it's something that's always puzzled me. How is being trans ok but wanting to chop your arm off isn't? That sounds horrible when I type it, but when you think about it...
    That doesn't mean I would automatically take the pill, though. It would be a decision I'd have to put a lot of thought into. I'd still be much quicker to take a cis guy pill.

20. JessicaWolfess

In my opinion the only "cure" for being trans is letting the person physically transition to the person they feel like inside and respecting that person.