1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just a brief 'announcment'

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ryu, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Ryu

Ryu

I just wanna let people know that activity from yours truly is gonna be infrequent at best for a month or two because of a lack of 3G on my phone (contract ended) and I can only use (house) wi-fi, which barely reaches my room, so doing regular posts is both a pain because of precarious internet, and EC is blocked on my houses wi-fi, so I think I have to wait until about 10 to go on it, but when I can post, I will, even though what I'll probably end up doing is writing responses to threads throughout the day and posting them at night in groups of 10 or so.

So yeah, I'm not dead, just in a tricky situation.

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey sweetie :frowning2: I'm sorry that you have internet censorship going on in your house. You have a few options depending on how sophisticated the solution is.

1) Use the Tor browser to evade censorship. Pretty easy. Just download the Tor browser, and use it.

2) Use a web proxy. I just hopped on proxysite.com. It lets me log on to EC and post this message to you.

Hugs, Adrienne

3. Ryu

Ryu

Well I've discovered that with sky you can go onto the DNS on wifi settings and change it to 8.8.8.8 to bypass blocks. No idea why it works but it does so pfft...

4. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    DNS stands for Domain Name Service. Because internet addresses are actually IP addresses - not letter combinations - there is need to convert the www-address to the IP address. This happens through DNS. Usually each ISP (internet service provider) has their own DNS servers. So when you type in Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out - Powered by vBulletin your computer sends a message to the DNS server and asks for its IP address. If the service provider wants to censor a site it can remove the IP address from its DNS server list of IP addresses.

By changing the DNS IP address to 8.8.8.8 in the internet settings you are telling your computer to connect Google's DNS server instead of your own ISP's DNS server. Since google is not known to censor internet addresses you will be able to bypass the censorship of your own ISP.

5. Ryu

Ryu

That is actually really interesting... Thanks!