1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

History Presentation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by suburbs_of_sodom, Jun 13, 2007.

1. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    So about a week ago, I did a report in history about a book that I read on the beginning of the AIDS epidemic. Since it started in the gay community, I talked a lot about the gay liberation movement and how the government did nothing to stop this epidemic because it affected mainly homosexuals. So I got my grade back and got an A-, and on the write-up I got an A!!! I was really excited, especially because I felt like I was able to deliver an effective and well-received presentation on a gay issue, and the grades were a validation of that.

The book's called And the Band Played On, by Randy Shilts, if anyone wants to read it. It's really interesting and, since it focuses on the lives of a few people to make its point, it reads like a novel, though its completely non-fiction.

2. liszak

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's awesome! Good job! I've read the book, and I also found it really engrossing. It might be of interest particularly to those who are outraged about the "indefinite deferral" on blood from men who have sex with men, as it sheds some light on how slowly the blood banks reacted to the outbreak of AIDS in the USA and the consequences of their initial "chances are so low -- why bother?" attitude.

3. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That book is an amazing, amazing work of literature! I just loved it, even though it kinda destroyed me to read it. It took me years to actually start it because I knew it was going to be incredibly difficult. But it's so worth it!

And anyone who thinks Reagan was a good president should really, really read the book. Or who thinks public health policy is made objectively.

I can't really recommend the book highly enough.

suburbs: that's so cool that you got such a good grade on the report!