1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a strange view on burials?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DreamerBoy17, Feb 16, 2016.

1. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been thinking lately about funerals and burials lately for no apparent reason, and kind of started wondering about what I want to happen when I die.
    To me, all of this fancy coffin and preservation stuff is bullshit. The idea of my family being more worried about paying for my funeral than my actual death is stupid. I see absolutely no point in preservatives injected into people to make their corpses last longer. Who's going to be looking at my body 100 years from when I die? Actually, more than anything else, the idea of decomposing in the earth and being brought back into the cycle of life indirectly fills me with more solace than anything else. It seems so poetic: becoming another chain in an endless cycle. Why would I choose expensive artificial chemicals over nature?

I'm not berating anyone who would prefer a coffin funeral. Everyone's choice is theirs to make, especially in a sensitive and personal topic as treatment after death. But this is my opinion on the whole thing, and I was wondering if anyone shared it. Because it somehow got brought up with my dad today and he looked deeply disturbed more than anything else...

Please note that I am not suicidal. I was literally just wondering on the whole thing.

#1 DreamerBoy17, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  2. larkcarmen

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm. Interesting ideas.
    I, myself, want to be cremated, then for my ashes to be buried, then for a tree to be planted over the ashes.

3. Irisviel

well, whole funeral business feels religious to me. And since I'm an atheist, I feel like those rituals matter little to me. It's just that I feel loss is too personal to be turned into a public matter. However, I do understand why funerals might be important to others who do not share my feelings on the matter. And the symbolic nature of a burial can serve as some kind of a cathartic experience, I suppose.

4. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh dear, I feel that I completely disregarded the religious aspect of funerals, being an atheist myself. I'm sure the prayers and things said at funerals are extremely important to some. I would want a funeral, just a low-key sort of thing, casual wear, that sort of thing. And to be buried coffinless so that I can be re-absorbed into nature in a peaceful way.

5. larkcarmen

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I forgot about the religious-ness, too... maybe because it seems to be mostly Christians and stuff, big religions, that do this and I'm more druid...

6. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like Killjoy, for some time, i thought i wanted to be cremated. Nowadays, however, i think i will try to donate my body to science (educational or research purposes, whatever). That way, it will be more useful.

7. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would like to be cremated. Went on a tour of a morge in high school as a career day thing. Ick no is my empathic opinion. Natural burial is great but there are a lot of weird state laws and cemetery laws about it, you would have to advance plan for sure if you wish to go that route.

8. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Huh, I thought I was the only one. Every time I bring it up I always get some funny looks, like they think I'm crazy.

9. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For those discussing returning to the earth, there is actually a company that will cremate you and put you in a biodegradable cup with a small tree sapling, so your family can plant you and you'll be around forever. Will link in a llil bit.

10. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  11. Distant Echo

Interesting thread.
    I like what we did for my mum's funeral. No service, no one presiding. We hired a room at the crematorium, invited those she wanted there, and just talked to each other. The kids played chasy, and everything was very relaxed.
    Cheap coffin, room hire, cremation. Simple. And no religious aspect at all. What she wanted.

12. thepandaboss

Basically, I just wanna be cremated. My dad was (we had a viewing though). Seems like the easiest option.

13. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I would like to be mummified like the Ancient Egyptian pharoahs, and be put in a tomb with all my valuable stuff, inside a gigantic pyramid. I think a lot of it is vanity, on the part of the dead person and the family, by wanting a big expensive thing that won't be forgotten. No-one can ignore a giant pyramid, can they?

14. AlamoCity

I presently work in the funeral industry (my dad is a funeral director). It's interesting how people deal with death. We have a showroom with all the caskets and it's kind of eerie to be in there.

I am interested in perhaps either a pine box or cremation.

15. LizSibling13

LizSibling13 Guest

Being 13, I hope I don't have to worry about death for another 100 years. When I die, I want to be known as a loving wife, a mom and a novelist.

16. Helion Solaris

When I die, I want to be cremated and somehow my ashes need to be released into space. It just has to happen. It feels right to me :slight_smile:

17. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This...

Of course it's vanity, and their way to clean their miserable hands for all the iniquity they inflicted to the deceased while he was alive.

I'll take a pyramid too, and no funeral : Just have some orgies inside the pyramid for weeks, that'll do...

18. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's not that strange, I don't want a funeral at all. I don't like the idea about someone I never knew telling my entire life story to people who have known me my entire life. Instead I just want them to cremate the ashes and then put the ashes into stones so that people can love me can have a piece of me; although they can ignore this if its found to be impossible. Then each write ''one greatest moment'' with me and compile it into a big book of ''greatest moments'' so if they begin to cry about me being dead, they can be happy about the greatest moments.

19. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In SG. due to limited space, we have cremations for almost everyone, regardless of religion. I'm not sure if we're allowed to scatter/bury the ashes, but since I'm raised in a Buddhist family, I'll just share how we 'take care' of the body.

When the person dies, a ceremony is held, usually at the void deck of where the person lives. There's the normal tables and refreshments (it's warm as hell though) and at the front of the place is a kinda inverted-U-shaped thing, with the outer part being a portrait and table of (food and incense) offerings for the deceased and inside the body in a coffin. I think the ceremony lasts for several hours or days, depending. (A pearl is placed over the lips/under the tongue as payment to cross the river- river Styx, in Western cases) Behind the tent (the inverted U shaped thing) are offerings for the deceased, to be burnt. Paper dolls, cars, mansions, money...the belief is that the deceased will receive those in hell after dying. If I'm not wrong money and other things can be used to bribe demons to move into the upper levels (the lower the level the worse the punishment- not gonna go into detail, but theres 7 levels in hell) Then, depending on how rich they are, the procession to the...incinerator? Entire family trailing behind the car carrying the coffin, for the richer ones. Seen 2 buses following them, too. Then, every year on certain dates (a few days before Chinese new year, for giving incense and offerings, the hungry ghost festival [aka one of the most haunted weeks here, depending on your religion/area you stay in can be scary as shit] and a few other dates) someone in the family/ entire family goes to pray.

That was long and unneeded XD but personally, as an atheist, I don't see much sense in the above. I'm not sure how we...pray...for those in other religions- I know catholics just pray as usual in church some times- but I really don't see any sense. In the end, we're 'mourned' over by our 'grieving' relatives- I say so because until the sharing comes, everyone's stuck to their phones- and burnt, ashes kept in small containers at certain locations where people come to pray and the smell of incense tickles your nose. It's just...stupid. Personally speaking, of course.

Ah, I think if you want to scatter the ashes, you'll need to pay a fee. Should be...

20. EnchanterForest

Same